Thursday, March 31, 2011

It was a normal morning here in Rochester, snow. Although its springtime, its still snowing! I saw my share of raccoons this morning. There are a few spots now where I think they know my cat call when I arrive to alert the kitties I am there and am going to feed them. Because the raccoons come a runnin! They are also the fattest things around. They look like small bears. And they are not easily scared off, so they sit at a distance waiting for me to leave, which drives me nuts, because I place dry towels and fresh food and water, and I know that minutes after I leave they will come and scare the cats away and make a mess of things. There is not much I can do about that. I actually came back to a spot yesterday just to scare one away, but he jumped into the basement of this abandoned house through the bars of the window and I am not sure how he could ever get out of that. The cats are able to jump up on ledges but I am not too sure about the raccoons. I wanted to trap a very sick kitty this morning, but she was not around. My friend Gina was going to take her and bring her to the vet, she hates the thought of any cat going to a shelter. So do I, but sometimes I feel I have no choice. I will try again tomorrow. It was quiet out there this morning, I did not see my usual suspects. I did meet a nice man who was out on his porch smoking, he waved to me as I was heading back to my car. We had a nice brief conversation about the animals and compassion towards them. I told him there is a real problem in his neighborhood with the strays. He agreed. I told him I picked up an injured cat once from the street, obviously after being hit, and brought it to emergency. And how I've picked up dead cats along the way. He told me how he watched his dog run across the street once, someone hit it, and kept driving. We both agreed these are sick people. He was a nice guy. I left him asking him to watch over the animals for me. NEXT POST: A recap of my rescues for 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment