Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Grappling


I am still grappling with the moral issues of bringing kitties to the shelter. God knows I've brought a few in the past, and I know I will in the future, but for today I really struggle with the issues surrounding it. Sometimes though, like this morning, when I see a cat come out of an abandoned house, through bars on the basement punched out window, and I see their faces, one a black, one a grey, and both look so sad and miserable. They have no visible signs of trauma, so what do I do with them? I know I have decreased the population in some spots of my morning journey, that is evident especially where Benny was. There used to be eight cats over the summer and fall, now I see only one, in the dark. The food bowl is always empty there so I know there is more than one. But not many. On the other hand, Hayward Avenue is still overpopulated. I saw 5 cats there this morning, the most I've seen since last winter. Sweet Red has turned semi-feral and looks like a wreck. And there are others I've never seen. They were all there eating when I placed the food down. So, I still grapple with the decision to bring them to shelters. I just wish there were enough people to take in a cat or two. Rescue cats bring such joy, and give so much love. On another somewhat happier note, Olivia, one of the kitties I rescued that was pregnant delivered six babies at 4 am. yesterday morning. Here is a picture of her and her babies later. Mommy and babies are all doing fine.

3 comments:

  1. You are a blessing.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. see auntie there are good ppl out there that help out needie animals!!! you both are guardian angels for these innocent animals!!!! love you
    amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine,
    Do you do TNR (Trap-Neuter-Return) with the cats? The cats are spayed/neutered and returned to the area where you continue to maintain the colony - giving food and water. Performing TNR and adopting out those that can be is the only way to stop the cycle and decrease the population.

    Here is some great info: http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=431
    http://straycatalliance.org/solution.php

    ReplyDelete