Monday, March 28, 2011

Weekend Updates


SO much happening out there... Where do I begin? It was a very crazy weekend, lots of stuff in my life... number one it was a birthday weekend for me, so that made it extra unusual for me, with all my friends and family doting on me - :) but the mornings were just as hard. I made it through the grief of losing my dear sweet Benny - God had the plan for him and I had no control over it. Sweet Cassie - the first pregant cat I rescued and AnotherChancePetRescue fostered, pictured here with her dear sweet babies, had her five beautiful babies last week. Cassie has turned out to be a very nurturing mother. The other stuff going on - Sunday morning I heard a vicious cat fight going on near where I feed, and I discovered it was happening inside a house next door that had been condemned due to arson. As I was investigating where the opening was for the cats to the house, I discovered a floor board on the porch was missing and somehow they were getting in there through that way. I did manage to open a window and peer inside, and there was Buttons, and a few others I had not seen. I shook the food, and hopefully scared them enough to stop and come out to eat. Hopefully they did. This morning, Buttons was waiting, but she her eyes are very wet and look infected. I need to do something about that. I could easily give her something, if someone has suggestions? The other situation is there is a cat that I believe is pregnant at another spot. I just don't know what to do. There is a black cat at another that I suspected might have been TNR'd because of its tip missing on its ear, but I was able to feel his behind this morning, so the ear is most likely frostbitten. He is also a very pretty boy, luxurious coat, and he purred while I stroked him. I need to find him a home quick. And I need to name him! With all that being said, I would like to draw everyone's attention to a letter written to the Democrat and Chronicle's Letter to the Editor today. I saw recent episode of the Pit Boss, where Shorty was so discouraged by the lack of human compassion for animals, and not being able to place homeless animals in homes, that he cried. He was going through a real down period, and I feel this way quite often. Sometimes rescuers need a renewed sense of hope. But is it more humane to bring these cats to a shelter for a humane euthanization, or let them linger, suffer and die out there. Here is what the letter said:

"Regarding Mark Hare's March 1 column about the "Friends of Ferals": I, too, am a 50-something woman who has always been a cat lover. I used to think the best help for feral cats was to have "human helpers" for food and shelter. I have had a feral cat "living" under my deck for about four years. This cat led a horrific life, aging quickly, while infected with fleas and worms, along with very few teeth left. This winter's elements took their toll. By the time I was able to coax him inside, he was little more than a skeleton with filthy fur, despite the food and water I provided daily. He allowed me to hold him, as he slowly died in my arms. In rare moments, he relaxed on the deck in the sunshine, but overall this cat suffered terribly throughout his life. Are these colonies really the best thing for these abandoned and feral cats? Not in my opinion. Perhaps humane euthanizing needs to be the answer or at least considered."

I have to say, this made me pause, and think about my situation. I am really torn with this option. I need to do something, and on my own, its hard to do 'the right thing'. We just need more compassionate people to open up their homes and take in some of these unwanted creatures. We need to give them a chance.

2 comments:

  1. i think you should name the precious little kitty FROSTY!! LOVE YOU AUNTIE LOVE AMY

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWWWWWW!!!! I love you too Amy! You are my 'special' girl! :)

    ReplyDelete