Friday, March 25, 2011

Benny


I am ending my posts for the week on a sad note. I got a call from the woman who adopted Benny after I rescued him from the streets about two and half weeks ago. Now I've been feeding and caring for Benny for well over a year now, and Benny used to run down a very long driveway each and every time after spotting me in the morning when I parked my car on Central Park. Benny would do pirouettes around my legs in anticipation of the treats I would be leaving him. Benny came to trust me, and we formed a special bond. The woman called me at work yesterday to tell me Benny had not eaten since Saturday, that would be five days at least. I asked her to get him to the vet quickly, and then she did. Keep in mind, Benny was diagnosed with Leukemia, and for cats, there is not much you can do about that, but they can live long lives in spite of it, but when its their time to go, they are certainly ready. Benny was fat and happy when I got him, if not a bit weary and war-torn after a very long winter's survival. He did not look as if he were in his final stages, enough to stop eating. Benny is at an animal hospital in Brockport, and I am paying his vet bill, as this woman cannot afford to. All these animals I rescue are like my children, and when they are adopted, I trust that they will be spoiled and loved just as I would do for them. You must never abandon an animal in their sick times, especially if they are close to death, or be there with him if it is grave. UPDATE: The decision to euthanize Benny has been made. Apparently when Benny was neutered last week, it compromised his already weakened immune system, and he is not responding to treatment now. The kind woman that cared for him for this very short time will be at his side. Benny, may you rest in peace, and meet your friends in heaven. I will see you there someday!

3 comments:

  1. I'm SO SORRY!! I know how much he means to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also very sad. But yes,, I believe you will see Benny again in heaven--he will known you and love you and will not be sick.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very sorry, there are no words...Fly free sweet Benny and know how much you were loved! Try to find some comfort and remember as we lose one, there is also new life in Cassie's babies..
    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete