Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Howard

Cosmo
SCOOTER

OK, I will admit it.  I am a closet Howard Stern fan.  But let me explain.  On my seven minute ride to work, I listen to him on my satellite radio.  50% of what he does and says on his show is disgusting.  Some of that bothers me.  But I get through it during those seven minutes if thats all there is.  In between, he has some pretty awesome interviews with very interesting people.  Especially rock and roll icons from time to time.  And you have to admit it, Howard Stern is a very smart man.  And funny.  And interesting.  But what I love the most about him is that he is married to a model named Beth.  She is a huge advocate for North Shore Animal League.   This leads me into a topic which I was thinking about this morning.  I do believe that each city/town has a responsibility to help its animals with TNR programs like the one I was allowed to participate in, funded by a generous group of people other than Lollipop.  Of course they (docs, workers) put in their time, but they got paid for it also.   The government should set aside an amount of money just for animals to be spayed and neutered, and we wouldn't have the situation we have in every town and city across America. 


I went out this morning and observed oh so many still unneutered babies in the section of town that I feed at.  I also noticed that there are less at each spot.  I don't know where they've gone.  Here are stats:  in the past six months, 30+ (at least 10 on my own prior to the Lollipop project) cats have been trapped, neutered and returned (well, most) - I took 13 pregnant cats off the street, some were released, some were adopted, some had babies, some were aborted, two went to a barn.  Many kitties I found homes for:  Timmy, Rufus, Laura, Whitey, Emma, Snowflake, Abby, Cutie Pie, Midnight, Buddy, Buster, Buster 2 (since passed), Gumdrop (since passed), Prince Harry, Biffer, Gracie, Dexter, Mike... - just to name a few!


I am proud of the job I've done in the hood.  I speak to people that live there whenever I get the chance about what I am doing in their (own) neighborhood, and what a good thing it is.  Many times I have trouble understanding them, and vice versa because some are from other countries and we dont' understand each other's language.  But most have seen me do what I do every day and I am sure they are happy to see less cats around. 


Back to Howard Stern, his wife Beth has done a lot for this group she is involved in, and I think about the wealth in this country, and how the Kardashians can have a show about nothing, and make millions of dollars.  If they, or someone in their position could take a tenth of what they make and help out shelters, and groups to go out and spay neuter and return, what a difference it would make in this country.  If media could promote spay neuter return more often in every form of advertising, it would make such a huge difference.  If poor communities had the means to trap cats on their own, bring them for spaying, and not have to worry about financing it, what a difference it would make.  But kudos to Beth Stern for trying to make a difference with her fame and money.  Who else is helping besides hard working, low paid peons (sp?) like myself, funding out of my own pocket?

Good news, my Scooter is doing a little better, thanks to a quarter of a pill to boost the appetite I have been given him and Cosmo every three days.  Cosmo, still very thin, weak, but moving around, and eating a little.  Its better than last week.  Thats their picture, above. 

12 comments:

  1. Beth Stern gets a lot of attention for her philanthropy because she's rich and famous. Fine to admire her, but there are so many donors and committed volunteers who make good things happen. Beth is no more worthy of credit than you are. I would bet Beth is not up at 4:30am every day to go out in the cold to feed stray cats. She probably pays someone to feed her own cats. She has the ability to make excellent things happen with her money. You have the determination to make excellent things happen with your heart, soul and alarm clock. Oh yes, and your money, too. Huge thanks to the Friends of the Humane Society for donating the TNR money that might make your life a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you didn't tell me that Midnight and Rufus have homes! That's awesome. I'll take their photos off the Adopt me sidebar. I'm SO glad that Cosmo and Scooter are doing a little better. I'm praying for them and you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Jess, I mean't MY home - for now! They are still up for adoption to a GOOD home!!! :)

      Delete
    2. Ohh, got it! I'll leave up their photos then. ;)

      Delete
  3. So glad Cosmo and Scooter are doing better.
    You didn't mention Blossom in my crew of rescues - another one!!
    I agree with what you're saying - "if only those that could, DID more" and I'm sure alot do; look at Katherine Heidl.
    Can't say I agree about anything concerning Howard - can't stand him; ever since he tried moving into the Rochester airwaves and made a terrible remark about Brother Wease's special daughter, I turned him off. No 2nd chance from me.
    You're doing a GREAT job Janine and we all appreciate it. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I missed Blossom, how could I! :) there are so many more. glad I keep the blog, it helps me keep track, if I ever really had to~! Oh, don't forget IVAN too!

      Delete
  4. Some places have really done aggressive TNR with great results. Check out this list for starters:

    Http://bestfriends.org/allgoodnews/specialfeatures/ferals2_3.cfm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction: the URL is:

      Www.bestfriends.org/allthegoodnews/specialfeatures/ferals2_3.cfm

      Delete
    2. Wow, that is so impressive. Really. These are big cities - just wish it could be for every city and town in every state. I wish it were a mandatory law, and it was enforced, to have groups like those dedicated people to help with it. Thanks for sharing that link!

      Delete
  5. Where my sister lives, on Long Island, the town pays for feral cat TNR- gives out free vouchers that someone can take to particular vets and get them TNR'd for free- she has gotten around 40 cats done from her own backyard! Some stay and have been around for years- others haven't- but they are no longer breeding! this s in a wealthy suburb and there are all these homeless cats around. I agree completely that towns and cities need to contribute towards funding of both feral cat spay/neuters and also more low cost spay/neuters for pets. the vets' prices have gotten ridiculously, prohibitively expensive, and I, at least in part, BLAME THEM for our local problem of overpopulation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THATS what I mean!! Each TOWN AND CITY should be providing this service for FREE! It would reduce the over population TREMENDOUSLY! Thank you for your commment!

      Delete