Thursday, March 12, 2015

Good Samaritan

CHICO

It was an incredibly sad morning for me.

For years I've been feeding Morgan (Captain - named for being blind in one eye) and Milly, his sidekick, on Short Street.  I built a very nice shelter there, with some beautiful wooden huts and such and this is how they have survived this brutal winter.Both are black cats with white - tuxies I guess you would call them.  Both wait for me on top of the snow piles each morning.  They keep their distance, but know me, and know I am there to feed them. Neither were there this morning.  I didn't think anything of it, as its common for them not to be around.

As I pulled out the wet towel from the shelter to place a dry one down, to then place the food and water down for them, I noticed a cat not moving inside one of the shelters inside.  I crawled inside with a towel in hand and pulled out Morgan.  Dead.  My poor baby Morgan.  I noticed blood and such on his fur.  The only thing I can think of is that he was hit by a car and crawled his way inside and died there.  I wrapped him in a towel, placed him in the car, and as I drove off, I saw Milly in the distance watching me.  Poor Milly.


As I went to the next seven more spots after that, finishing up the sixth I drove to the last on Central.  I did my usual finagling trying to walk to the shelter, got down on my knees to refill the bowls and heard a cry.  I looked inside and there was Chico, inside a styrofoam container, and he looked like he couldn't move.  I then realized something was wrong with him, and I quickly began to try to pull the hut out from under the huge mound of snow covering the board and tarp to make up this little village underneath for the homeless cats.  With herculean effort, I managed to get the entire styrofoam box out from under and carried it to the car, and drove off immediately to the emergency clinic 10 miles away.  The box couldn't have weighed more than a pound.  And neither did Chico.  He was a skeleton.

Chico - and his home (box)


I got to the clinic and had him assessed, and after being told that he had major trauma, didn't weigh more than three pounds, if that, severely dehydrated, broken teeth, blood coming out of his nose (they said it looked like he was hit by a car), I agreed to euthanization, which was what they suggested.  He was very still anyways, as I sat petting him and talking to him (and crying), I had to keep checking to see if he was alive.   Heart break.  He must have been in there for days/weeks - starving and injured.  He was next on my list but I hadn't seen him around for a while.  True heart break.  They offered to take Morgan and cremate him also.

I drove off with a heavy heart.

To top that off, I got into work with the head honcho asking me to come talk to him.  He then told me that I wasn't losing my job but I would be reporting to another person in another department of the hospital. I sat there numb, said thank you and walked away.  Am I happy?  No.  Did this just make me more miserable than I already am with my 'career'?  Yes.  I have been through too many changes since I started working at my beloved hospital, where I was born.  All I can do is be thankful for getting a paycheck. I would be lost in life without it.

I am not certain why some people have jobs/careers that they love, while others suffer in silence.  Is it fate?  Circumstance?  No. For some its luck, but mostly its all how you apply yourself from school age on.  I chose to pursue other things in life, when I should have been pursuing different things.  I made wrong decisions.  And I now pay the price for that.  So, take heed young people, go to school, study for something you love.  You will regret it otherwise.

Have a good day everyone.

13 comments:

  1. Aawwe, Janine, i cant tell you how bad I feel for you today, and those kitty's. Call me love, tell me what I can do right now . Joe and Maree

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read the article in the D&C and I think you are amazing. Do you have a "Go Fund Me" account? That might help with expenses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a horribly sad day! I'm so glad that you were able to find Chico in time to end his suffering humanely and that he was with you at the end. He knew that you love him and were there to take care of him. I'm just so sorry for him, and Morgan, and for you that you see so much sadness everyday. But you keep going because you love them and have such a huge heart. God bless you and big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janine,

    Words cannot express the sorrow I feel for you after reading today's blog. If you observed all my tears while reading it you would understand what I am trying to articulate. As you know I am one never lost for words but I feel speechless because of the loss of your two babies Chico and Morgan. They both understood and relied on all the Love and Compassion you extended them . If it weren't for all your daily sacrifices and tireless efforts there would be many more tragedies Cat Angel. You are an amazing woman and I am Honored to have crossed your path. Thank you very very much for all you do for those defenseless Kitties. I implore all your followers to help you in any way they can so you can continue your mission in Rescuing Rochester's Homeless Cats One At A Time. God Bless You Cat Angel!!!!!. Remember Chico and Morgan are no longer suffering and are in Cat Heaven.


    Walt Simoni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me start by saying you do amazing things. You save so many lives & make a difference daily. There are many of us that settle in careers simply for the paycheck, what you do in your off hours, away from the 'job' truly is what matters. This has been your passion for a long time and you have saved countless numbers of cats. If you want to save more/attract more followers, get more help. Get a facebook page, I've seen other rescue sites go from 900 followers to over 5000 in just a few months and donations roll in for them too. Find help getting your 501C. While I know zero about that stuff, I'm sure some of your readers do. What you see & experience on a daily basis is something most of us could never do, but we thank the Heavens for people like you. However, I am CERTAIN there are other people willing to donate or help in anyway, if you had more exposure. I only know of facebook & the success of other rescue groups that have used them. One group had school kids making shelters for them. GoFundMe-another excellent idea. A woman in Buffalo raised a bunch of money on GoFundMe for saving/spaying the Grand Island cats. Keep up the great work, but most importantly, Thank YOU for helping those that are helpless & forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read the article in the D&C and I think you are a wonderful person. I live near the areas in which you work and I cannot tell you how comforted I am knowing that you are out there doing the best you can for those stray kitties. I am so sorry you had such a sad morning, but please find comfort in the beauty you brought and continue to bring to those animals that are overlooked by others. Morgan went to a place he was comfortable - the shelter you built - when he was injured. And you gave Chico comfort and love from the pain he was suffering so that he did not have to go through it alone. You are such an amazing soul. Please keep up what you're doing for those animals. Consider starting a GoFundMe page so that we can help support you in your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh Janine. My poor, poor friend. I know you were crushed this morning. I am crushed. And yet everything everyone has said is true - when Chico and Morgan were injured, where did they go? The safest, place they know - the home you provided for them. In their hearts and minds, they were at least where they felt safe thanks to you. I wish I could take away your pain. I am hugging you right now in my mind. ♥ ♥ ♥ - Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Janine-

    I just read your article in D&C and my heart goes out to you...

    Not only am I a crazy cat lover with three of my own, but I'm also a job recruiter. I would love to help you potentially find a new career... If you want, you can email me at afrey@coreecs.com and we can chat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janine,

    I am so sorry for your losses. My heart aches for you. May God bless you for all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For those new to this blog: There is the second annual "Meow and Chow" fundraiser currently scheduled for Saturday, July 18 at the Rush Creekside Inn. Last year's event was a great success and here is hoping the one this year will help Janine even more! If you are on Facebook, here is a link to the event... Click "going" and come join in the fun!
    https://www.facebook.com/events/518827301596113/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Janine - I am so sorry for the loss of Chico and Morgan. Kristen said it best - those 2 knew where to go when they were hurting - the shelter that YOU made them and fed them. They knew you'd find them. Take some comfort in knowing they're no longer suffering. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Janine,
    I read the Democrat and Chronicle article about your efforts and I just posted it to my Facebook page. I am so, so, sorry about the loss of Chico and Morgan. So, so, so sad. I had the same thought as many of the other commenters...Chico and Morgan went to the place where they experienced love and compassion...the shelters you set up for them. The article stated that you want the city to create a program to fund sterilization of stray cats. Do we need to wait for the city to do that? Can we not do that, as private citizens? Does anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anne,

    The City of Rochester cannot allocate taxpayer funds to be used for spay/neuter I believe. Verona Street Animal Society was the volunteer group that always raised funds for Rochester Animal Services that provided that service for low income city residents. As a private citizen you can make donations to Janine to help her with her altering costs or start a 501c3 for that purpose.

    Walt Simoni

    ReplyDelete