Monday, March 12, 2012

Wild Wild Weekend



There is never, ever a dull moment in my life.  I don't have time to sit and read a book, but I make time to sit and read all the old newspapers that build up on a weekend day - I don't want to miss any news or good articles that could benefit me.  Sometimes there are good ones, like the guy going around building shelters for the dogs in the city.  What a good man that one is.  Bless him.  Wish there were folks who would do the same for cats.  Just place them around the city, with straw in them.  At least the cats would have shelter from storms.  And I like columnist Marc Hare.  He keeps it real, for sure.  Even mentioned me in an article on civility!

Anyways, onto the good stuff.  On Thursday, I was introduced to someone who wanted a cat younger than a year.  We made plans to have me come bring two of mine, Rufus and Buddy, to visit to see which one she wanted, on Saturday.  So I did.  And she wanted both of them rather than split them up.  I left with a very heavy heart, as this was the first time I had been 'fostering' a cat and had to let him go.  You get so attached to these little babies.  Buddy was my cuddler, and Rufus was semi-feral when I got him and after three months was a little love bug too, but on his own terms.  Well, by Sunday, not even 24 hours later, I got a call asking me to come get the cats.  Apparently they weren't compatible with her young daughter.  I was heartbroken having to leave them, and heartbroken to have to pick them up.  It was a chance for my house to get back to some order, with two less cats, and a thought that I could foster more.  So, Buddy and Rufus are back home, and grateful from what I can tell.  And I have learned a lesson too.  I must screen people before I give my cats to them.  Careful consideration must be given to the size, age, type and temperament of prospective pets. Ask yourself the following questions:  Do you have the patience and commitment to understand your cat's needs and ways of communication? Some cats seem aloof, but they bond with you for security and company.  Realize, unless the cat is just a baby, all cats need time for adjustment, and they will come to you when they are ready, you cannot force a cat to be held, especially one brand new to your home.  You have to feel them out, get to know them, and let them get to know you.  Trust is a big factor here.  How old are your children? If they're under 6, you must remember that kittens have sharp teeth and claws, and strike back when teased.

On Sunday morning, I also had the opportunity to Trap, Neuter and Return two cats for a once a month clinic.  Julie, from Another Chance Pet Rescue went with me in the morning.  Bless her heart.  I realized after yesterday's ordeal (for both me and the two cats), that I need someone for moral support.  I have a VERY hard time letting a cat back out into the world after I have trapped it.  But I know I did the right thing, in fact, one of the cats I trapped was a girl, and in early stages of pregnancy.  My friend Mary came over in the afternoon to not only help me go get Rufus and Buddy from these people's home, but then came with me while I released the other two.  It was just so much easier for me to do with someone helping me.  Thank you both of you for your help.

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day."  Evelyn Brooks White





No comments:

Post a Comment