Friday, March 9, 2012

Sandy



Well, I did it again.  I rescued another pregnant kitten.  Isn't she BEAUTIFUL.  I have named her Sandy, but only briefly, because I am relinquishing my rights to her after 4 pm. today when this kind woman comes to pick her up and take her.  But she does look like a Sandy to me.  Very very beautiful little girl.  Kittens having kittens.  Its a crime.  I first saw this girl about a month ago on Third, and have not seen her since until this morning, when I went there to feed.  First I had to chase off a very large raccoon.   Then she came up to me and started purring, and nudging me, and I felt her belly.  Very round and full.  I had no carrier in my car, but she came willingly.  I got her home and into my spare bathroom.  Got to work and sent out a desperate e-mail and thank God a few offers came in.  I am going to be TNR'g a few in the next few days thanks to a couple offers of help I recently had.  We've got to get this under control!  Its hard forme to do, but its obvously imperative it gets done, little by little, one by one.  Here are some interesting statistics:
 
•It is impossible to determine how many stray dogs and cats live in the United States; estimates for cats alone range up to 70 million.
•The average number of litters a fertile cat produces is one to two a year; the average number of kittens is four to six per litter.
•The average number of litters a fertile dog produces is one a year; the average number of puppies is four to six.
•Owned cats and dogs generally live longer, healthier lives than strays.
•Many strays are lost pets who were not kept properly indoors or provided with identification.
•Only 10 percent of the animals received by shelters have been spayed or neutered, while 78 percent of pet dogs and 88 percent of pet cats are spayed or neutered.
•The cost of spaying or neutering a pet is less than the cost of raising puppies or kittens for a year.

70 million!  Holy Moly!  Please, spay and neuter your pets!!!  Have a wonderful weekend!

7 comments:

  1. She's absolutely gorgeous! By saving this one, you've saved hundreds. Good luck this weekend with the TNRing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure that you are not taking in cats that belong to someone? If you haven't seen her in a month maybe it's because she's been in her home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please be assured i am not taking someone's cat from them. I have been going to these neighborhoods for years. I can guarantee you, the few people that have a heart for animals in these neighborhoods are NOT letting their cats out, especially their pregnant cats. And would you really consider these cats to be someone's pet when they are allowed to go outside unneutered? Do you think I should have just left that pregnant cat there, hoping it would 'go back home?' Please, come walk in my shoes and see what I see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, but even if she does belong to someone, they don't deserve her. She is an unspayed female out on the streets in the winter? How much do they care???

    ReplyDelete
  5. EXACTLY! and thank you for that comment, you are not the first to ask, and I am glad I could answer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. and thank you Chrissycat!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is beautiful and deserves a home where people care and love her enough to spay her and keep her INDOORS!!

    ReplyDelete