Friday, March 16, 2012

Playing God


I had the opportunity to trap, neuter, return yesterday.  Thanks to Sue from Another Chance Ranch (see her link in yesterday's post), she was able to get me two spots at her clinic in Batavia.  I decided I needed to get two cats off the street that I highly suspected were pregnant, both being the above kitties, Laura and Sparkles.  Through a friend of a friend, someone offered to help with the transportation in getting these cats to Sue, who was driving in from South Livonia and then onto Batavia.  This person picked up the cats in the morning, because I had to be at work, and drove them to Henrietta to meet Sue for her next hour drive to the clinic.  Late yesterday I was informed that these two females were indeed pregnant, both full term.  They were spayed regardless - which means their kittens were aborted.  Now, as much as that saddens me, I can't tell you how elated I am to know that I got these two in the nick of time.  They would have had their kittens on the street, where not only other critters would have eaten them, but most of the kittens born would not survive.  Sparkles had five kittens inside her.  Not sure about Laura.  If I had had a home for these cats to go to, this would be a different story.  But I did not have that choice.  The woman who transported was very upset, and told me I shouldn't be playing God, and she will never help me transport again.

One of the most controversial issues is whether or not to spay a rescued pregnant cat. While some people are repulsed at the thought of killing kittens, others believe the question begs a larger issue, that of the overpopulation problem.

Stray female cats have an uncanny knack of finding shelter immediately before giving birth, and will suddenly appear at a doorstep, seeking human help. Other female strays will find themselves cast out into the streets, punished for getting pregnant, because their owners failed to spay them and keep them indoors. Or the owner, in an attempt to salve their conscience, will surrender the pregnant female to a shelter, as a "found" stray, or summarily dump her at the door of a known rescuer.  All too often, these pregnant females are kittens themselves. It is fairly common for a cat to have its first period between four and six months of age, and to give birth as early as at six or seven months.  The survival of the mother cat, and any kittens that live is rare.

Animal rescue groups, humane societies, and TNR groups are overwhelmed in trying to stop the birth of new kittens, and "kitten season," is met with dread by these groups. Dread, because they know that this year's kitten crop will be responsible for the deaths of last year's kittens, or older cats, at shelters. There simply isn't enough space to house them all, and something must give. It's a matter of supply and demand. In a world that loves kittens, kittens are a dime a dozen.

The pros of this are:
1.Spaying a rescued pregnant cat will help contain the overpopulation problem. There are simply too few homes for the huge number of homeless cats.
2.Spaying a pregnant rescued cat will help prevent the deaths of living cats and kittens. Even though a pregnant female cat might be adopted by the finder, with good homes waiting for her kittens, each of those kittens will indirectly be responsible for the death of a shelter cat or kitten that might have been adopted into one of those homes.
3. Very young cats and very old cats rarely enjoy the kind of physical condition that would warrant allowing them to give birth. Birthing and nursing a litter of kittens would easily take their last ounce of strength, and could kill them. This truth is even more evident in the case of pregnant strays, who may have already borne dozens of litters of kittens. (A female cat is capable of having at least three litters of kittens each year.) The kindest and most compassionate action anyone could take with one of these cats is to spay/abort her. I have to believe this, as much as it bothers me.
There will never be an end to this issue until cat owners become responsible, by spaying and neutering their cats. As more kittens are born each year, more stray cats will appear, and the cat overpopulation problem cycle continues. That is why this issue is just a small part of a greater issue: Spay and Neuter.

13 comments:

  1. If only the VETs would charge less then maybe folks could AFFORD to have this done! To euthanize a cat costs $150 - WTF - it's one shot! So altho people enjoy pets - they're costly thanks to ULTA EXPENSIVE medical care (as you WELL know!) SUCKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to check around for a more reasonable vet. My vet doesn't charge that much for euthanization. And spay/neuters are reasonable too - well worth it. People shouldn't take a pet if they can't afford to properly care for it.

      Delete
    2. well ...they paid their money to become a professional and they can choose what they do to help some issues...Most of em view it as a business and they are gonna do what they have to do to STAY in business...

      Delete
  2. Not for nothing Janine....the lady was quick to judge you but did she step up and offer to take the pregnant mother into her home and take responsibility for her and the kittens? I bet not. There are heartbreaks every day when you make a commitment to rescue. There are just too many homeless cats and not enough good humans for them. You made the best decision you could for these cats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine, I totally support what you're able to do; while it's not ideal, it's the best decision. The transporter knew these kitties were probably pregnant - it is sad but sometimes the best choices are the hardest. Keep it up Janine - you know I'm there for you. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janine--what you do is show the rest of us how and what we should be with our pets. I support you 100%.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the transporter and while I agree with spaying and neutering and "not taking a pet unless you can afford them" I am not so naive as to think that all of the above doesn't happen. What this blog doesn't tell you is that I was never told that these cats would be spayed if they were pregnant. I was not given the opportunity to say I would foster if they were. I, in fact texted to tell her that I had a possible foster for a friendly pregnant female cat. This was not what I "signed up for". I had no idea that fully formed, full term kittens would be aborted,
    I have been BEGGING to offer my assistance to both Janine and another person who works with rescues. I have 3 dogs all with special needs and a kitten whom I bottle fed from 5 days old (who was actually the only survivor of a litter of 5 I had) who also has special needs! All of my pets were rescues! I have been a volunteer with a phenomenal local rescue for almost a year.
    So those of you who are judging me, the transporter, you need to step back and take note of the fact that you are judging someone who you do not know. Just because I can not personally take part in the aborting of full term kittens does NOT make me a bad person. In my opinion it does have a flavor of playing God but I can see BOTH sides of this. A dead kitten or a dead cat-I can not make the choice and I'm willing to bet that everyone of you who is judging ME couldn't do what Janine does either or she wouldn't be doing this all by herself!!
    ~Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said Vicki. Thanks for that. Janine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry - I didn't know all the facts. And I agree with what you said about Janine. I've ridden with her a few times and taken in 5 of her rescues -- I could NEVER do do she does on a daily basis!! Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As difficult as it was, I think it was the best choice. You have stopped the cycle for two more cats. It is sad but like you said until people spay/neuter their pets, this is going to continue. I give you a lot of credit....and I wish I lived near you as I would offer assistance. Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. If i could click LIKE on the above statement I would!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in the same situation right now. A irresponsible neighbor has again abandoned two cats to outdoors, and one of them was killed two days ago hit by a car. I noticed this other one running around at night, and discovered she was pregnant. The supposidly owner said today, that she doesn't care if her cat is outdoors when my other neighbor asked her if she knew she was pregnant? This same woman has had this cat litter a previous litter recently, after last fall I gave to her all the info she needed to get cats spayed even for free. So now, we have another loose cat who needs help. I live in an apartment complex with 8 of my own cats from rescues...I cannot and will not take in anymore. I tried calling all around for help but someone told me I should bring her into the SPCA to get her spayed right now! At first I said no, but after awhile looking at the situation and consequences of a homeless cat trying to take care of babies outdoors next to a busy street, I am considering taking her up on her offer to abort the babies. Who will come forth to help when everywhere people are overloaded with cats already?? So, now I am worried about the little mom, and even having to think about where she could find a safe home for herself let alone all her babies! I have done so much cat rescuing myself in 2008-2009, so I know how involved it all is. Now I am still burdoned, (labor of love) with my 8 babies who I can't even afford to feed. I am afraid to try to go ahead with that plan to bring her in to get spayed at this stage, but it sickens me to think what it will be like after and when she has her babies....where will they go and be safe? ect....People are so irresponible and careless these days, and are just too selfish to spend a little money on the cats to spay them that goes a long way for the good of everybody. What to do and how to help is what I am faced with again.

    ReplyDelete