Friday, April 20, 2012

TGIF!!

"God made all the creatures and gave them our love and our fear, To give sign, we and they are His children, one family here."  Robert Browning

The smell of rain was in the air this morning when I left my house at 5:15 sharp.  I stopped yesterday to buy a vinyl tablecloth at The Dollar General on Route 104 on my way home from Newark.  I had to get one because at one of my shelters, someone actually went out of their way to walk to the back of the vacant lot, take the best (and heaviest) board I had that was used for shelter, and leave a rickety old piece of fencing in place of it.  The kind where if it rains, it goes right through the slats.  I just couldn't believe it.  The spot wasn't vandalized, like it has been in the past, but that someone just wanted that piece of wood.  Really sad.  So, I went out and got the vinyl tablecloth - thought I was going to pay ONE DOLLAR for it at Dollar General, but wound up paying $4!!  I could really use these too.  Will have to get some more.  They could really help keep my spots dry during rainy days.  If any one has any old vinyl/plastic tableclothes they aren't using, that would be wonderful!

All my usual suspects were out this morning, including a couple of new ones.  Where Lilliana was rescued on Garson, a pretty, and friendly calico came up to me.  A she.  But she had no signs of being pregnant either.  Angel was out and about, his nose still wounded but not looking any worse.  I hope he does ok.

Picture is of Raichu, the kitty I rescued from Grand who just had her babies two days ago who is being fostered by a girl from Another Chance Pet Rescue.  I share them with you!  Not the best quality picture, but I hope you can see her babies!   One looks like it has tiger stripes!

Above picture is of Tabitha, another of the first pregnant kitties I rescued, with her six week old babies.  They are getting so big!  Can you imagine if these animals had been born out on the street?  It would have been a very sad situation.  But just look at the look on Mom's face!  She is so happy, and proud of her kids!

Here is reality - I hope this gives you more awareness of the importance of getting unneutered animals fixed and/or off the street!   I've certainly learned a lesson!  Thank you Jess for finding this for me!


8 comments:

  1. We can't see these statistics too many times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Anonymous. A lot of people don't realize that even female cats can have behavioral problems because they're not spayed.

    Janine, have you seen "My Cat from Hell" on Animal Planet? It's really good and the cat behaviorist, Jackson Galaxy, knows his stuff. I've learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine - Please let your fosters know NOT to use clumping litter around kittens - it will track out of the box and if it gets on their paws and they lick it it can clump in their stomach/intestines and they can become blocked.
    They should use clay until 3mos. old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if the litter comment was for Tabitha's picturee here in front iof the litter pans, her babies were on clay litter and have been advanced to scoopable because they have NEVER eaten it and show no interest in it. I am a very experienced foster and all of our fosters use clay litter with babies to start. I tend to find that around 8 weeks is a good time to switch but every litter is different. But a very good point for you to share with everyone, thank you. Many babies will actually go right into the litter pan and actually eat the scoopable litter right out of the box, which is worse than even just getting on their paws. I have seen it happen, very bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, never thought of that. Thats why I don't foster pregnant/baby cats! Know nothing about them! Thank you to all you cat midwives out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a good way to share information it was good whomever brought the topic up. Before fostering, I would have never known that either...we all have some very good cat knowledge to share and this is a great way to to do it when you have something. Anyone following this blog is a cat lover and it's great we can help each other out. Janine you should share the pic I sent you of Bamm Bamm with Tabitha and the babies. It's so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! I will be sharing Bamm Bamm's picture on my next post, and I love the info sharing, I sure did learn something! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. PS, I welcome any and all advice or stories anyone cares to share!

    ReplyDelete