Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Blossom and Mike

I want to first thank everyone who wrote me yesterday about Gumdrop.  Each and every time I have to make a decision such as putting an animal to sleep, it affects me deeply.  Especially with a situation like I have on my hands right now.  I've had Blossom in my bathroom since Monday morning when I finally rescued her from Short St.  She is very full term and I just know she would be delivering any moment now.  She finally warmed up to me yesterday as I sat in the bathroom and talked and cooed to her.  She let me rub her enormous belly, and she was purring loudly.  I had the spot at the clinic this morning and had every intention prior to last night to have her spayed and return her to the streets.  I made one attempt this morning to find her a safe place to have her babies, but it failed.  I was too late in asking.  Her appointment at the clinic was at 8 this morning.  I feel terrible about it.  I sometimes wonder if kitties are saying 'please don't take my babies'.  I am sick over this one.  If only she hadn't warmed up to me!   But I am an animal realist.  Here is a fact you can count on 100%, every time: for every litter of kittens born and adopted out into homes, another litter dies at at the kill animal shelter because nobody showed up to adopt or foster them. Unlike with human kids, when there aren’t enough homes for cats, they get put to sleep. It’s happening every single day at animal control time of year.



I also went out this morning and picked up Mike from Third Street.  I had two spots at the clinic, and Mike was super easy.  Good little boy.  Needs a snip snip.    They both look a like, don't they!

I want to share another picture of little momma Tabitha, who was one of the first pregnant kitties I rescued from the mean streets, and her babies, along with her (step) baby daddy Bamm Bamm (white)!  They are in love!  :)  Julie is the lucky foster mommy to this family!


2 comments:

  1. Janine,
    It was great to finally meet you face to face. Just wanna let you know that what you are doing for these beautiful babies is amazing! The world needs more people like you.
    As far as Laura goes, I am head over heels in love with her, and I think she is going to fit in perfectly in my life.

    Thanks again.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sad about Gumdrop. I know it literally breaks your heart to have to do what you did but you spared him in so many ways. The suffering he would have endured on the streets is unbearable to think about. He went peacefully with you loving him...so many don't even get that. I also want to say, even though there are many who wouldn't agree, you did the right thing with Blossom. I hope at least she has a chance at a better life. And yay for Mike's snip-snip!!! One less kitty makin' more kitties!!!

    ReplyDelete