Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Goodbye Ruby Tuesday


Its something you can never get use to. I feed so many homeless cats, every morning and in the act of putting food and water down for them. leaving them with shelter there is a comfort for which I am so grateful. This feeding of the cats is expensive and it is tiring but it is such a blessing. Once a cat begins to trust me, to come to me without fear and show their affection I will try to rescue them and place them in a home; a forever home with a family that is going to love them all their life.

But then every so often a cat I rescue comes with something so dreadful it just breaks my heart.

On Sunday morning I rescued Ruby from Second because I could have sworn she was pregnant. She was instantly loving and affectionate so I wasn't able to put her back on the street after I was told she was not pregnant. A pure cuddler this one is.  Yesterday she went to the vet for a check up. Before she can mix with other cats, and the first of these will always be my own cats, they have to be checked out to make sure they are fit and healthy.  Well, that 'baby' I felt in her tummy is actually her spleen.  She  has an enlarged spleen, and to boot - feline leukemia.

So her future is not as bright as it was yesterday.  Her life that I thought stretched out before us will not be long. She cannot be allowed to mix with other cats for fear she will infect them.  I will make the appointment for Ruby to be put to sleep either today or tomorrow.  Some would call this murder.  I call it ending life compassionately.  Can you imagine if I had put her back on the street, in her condition?  Her future would be filled with pain and suffering.  I know if I had an incurable disease, I would want my life to end compassionately, not to suffer.  There aren't enough people that take in these type of sick cats, so there is no other choice.

For a couple of days she has enjoyed love and affection and I hope she has had a measure of warmth and comfort she never knew on the mean streets of Rochester.   I will always love you Ruby girl!





10 comments:

  1. I support you in "euth.", Janine. Why ? some may ask..... because, a colony at a barn where I once worked at, had an epidemic of feline leukemia and to see them suffer such sickness and eventual death was traumatic for me and the cats. They actually cried out in Pain. I will never forgive the owner of that barn, or forget those people. btw., I did what I could, covertly, and was fired when found out. God bless little Ruby, saved from something very horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about Ruby. You are definately doing the right thing; first by going with your instincts not to return her to the streets just because she wasn't pregnant, and second by doing the right thing by her and ending her life with love and compassion. I don't know how you do it, but I'm so glad that you do. I lost one of the 3 feral kittens I have been taking care of and gotten spayed/neutered - he got hit and killed by a car on Friday night. I called him Buddy. He wasn't there in the morning Saturday for breakfast, so I knew something was wrong - they are always there for their meals! On my way to an appointment later that morning, I found him on the lawn of my neighbors 2 houses over. I was devastated. I turned around, got a towel from my house and went and picked him up and buried him in "our" back yard, sobbing the whole time. It was so hard to do, but I couldn't leave him there - even though they live outside, I still consider them mine and I love them just as much as my dog and cat that live indoors. My dad and I made them very nice insulated winter homes, but I still worry about them in this weather. Every day when I feed them, I try to pet them - one of the 2 remaining kittens is responding to me by arching into my hand when I pet him; he even purred for the first time yesterday, so I have hopes that maybe eventually I can rescue them from the outside - I will keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine,you did the right thing- and what any animal lover would do because the alternative would be cruel. So happy she got to spend her last days with you, and not on the streets. Kim Berkhoudt (Kristin's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Janine...I'm so sorry you have to do this but you are so right. Beautiful Ruby found love and warmth in the end and that's what she'll remember. My prayers are with you. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Janine,
    Once again not only did you do the right thing you did the only Humane thing. You saved Ruby from a very painful and horrific death and prevented who knows how many other kitties from contracting Leukemia. This is why I call you the Cat Angel. If only more of us would have the strength and courage to follow in your footsteps.Ruby is very fortunate to have crossed your path and undoubtedly thanks you for your neverending love and compassion. Sincerely Walt & Karon Simoni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janine--you are an angel.....and you provide a blessing.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janine, you have made the only possible choice you could make under the circumstances, for all the reasons given in the abive comments. One thing I would like to add about the enlarged spleen is this-that what often happens in this scenario is that the spleen eventually ruptures and this causes the animal to "bleed out" internally into his/her abdomen. So in doing the humane thing, having Ruby euthanized in a peaceful, loving environment, you are truly giving her the best gift of all. Bless you for caring for her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sad story, but Ruby enjoyed your love, her warmth & comfort, away from the treacherous city streets. You truly are an angel, Janine, and I know Ruby also realizes it. RIP dear Ruby and God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Ruby. I was afraid it would be a tumor of some kind but this is just as bad. Sigh. I think you were meant to find her in time to prevent her any further suffering. If only there were places that would take in FELV+ cats. Thanks for loving her and for doing the work that so few people will. Praying for you both.

    ReplyDelete