Thursday, August 18, 2011

Two for the Road




Yesterday, thanks to Habitat for Cats, I was able to neuter and spay a male and female. The female, I've named her Emma, is the mommy of the two baby kittens I have in my house right now that I rescued on Sunday morning. Emma has always been friendly when I stop to feed her, but she was terrified when I got her in a carrier for spaying yesterday morning, all the way through until today. I made a decision to put her overnight, while she recouperated from the surgery, with her two little ones she hadn't seen since Sunday. They did fine all together, but I wonder if Mamma knew her babies, and vice versa. Do mothers and children recognize each other? I felt terrible when I had to put her back onto the street this morning, but she has one baby left that I cannot catch, so I knew it was somewhat the right thing to do. I also had to put the other little guy, Allie, back on the street, after he spent a comfortable night in my house in a tiny room. My heart aches for these sweet and friendly cats - to have to put them back on the street, but I lack anyone stepping up and offering to take them, or at least even foster them. It was a hard thing to do, but on the other hand, a good thing to have them neutered. I attach a picture of Mickey. Mickey is a kitten I rescued almost a year ago I believe. He was adopted out by a nice girl named Connie. Connie shared with me an update on how he is doing, and I thought you might like to read: "October 23rd 2010 was when our family officially adopted Mickey from Janine. Fate was sure with me that day. Mickey was destined to head to a rescue group. If he went there before I got to him, it would have been weeks before we could have him in our home. He would have needed shots, etc before they would release him. Janine was kind enough to let me come to her home and check him out. She trusted that I would get him to my vet and take proper care of him. It was love at first sight. Mickey quickly adapted to our home. His first love is our golden retrieve, Abbey. I always tell Mickey "I wish you looked at me the way you look at that dog". LOL. He is very lovey/dovey first thing in the morning. Then he starts his daily exercise routine. Over the couch and chair
in the living room, under the dining room chair, thru the kitchen, up and down two chairs in the family room, into my sons room to see if he is awake, under the dog, down the basements stairs and back up - he does this about 5-10 times and he is a blurr when streaking by - literally. Now he is ready for a nap. Mickey comes to greet each and every one of us at the door when we get home. Love that! I have to have a flyswatter in everyroom. If a bug comes in the house he chases it all over. When the bug lands on the window screens, Mickey jumps and his nails get caught in the screen -(holes in the screens) NOT GOOD. I have to get the bugs before he sees them. Not sure if he will ever catch a mouse. He is quick enough, but graceful he is not. We call him thumper......can hear him coming all throughout the house..thump thump thump....here he comes...plop...just landed on someones head. He cannot meow....he squeaks. So you hear coming down the hall: thump/squeak thump/squeak thump/squeak....LOL so fun! Mickey's tail is his claim to fame. It is very long and full and glorious. When I took him to his first vet appointment way back in 2010, the vet estimated his birthday was August 11th.......
Happy 1st Birthday Mickey !!!" CONNIE

1 comment: