Monday, August 29, 2011

Update from Sunday's Post

I experienced two acts of extreme kindness this weekend. At one point yesterday, as I was telling my mother and sister on the phone, both times I could not control my emotions, and started to cry, and my sister saying 'you are so queer'. Its true! I was terribly emotional yesterday realizing that there are some really kind people out there! First kindness was done by a retired woman named Pat who took the chance and went and got Bailey, a 9-year old dog that I found out last Thursday needed to be rescued by his owner who is too sick to care for him any longer and was going to take him to Lollipop Farm that Saturday. Pat went and picked up Bailey that very night I sent an e-mail out, took him to the vet the next morning, where he was treated for severe ear infections, updated on his shots, and told to put at least 5 pounds back on his very lean frame. Pat and her sister have both enjoyed taking Bailey for walks, something he was not used to. And they are enjoying spoiling Bailey also. I am sure something he surely deserved. Second kindness was when i went to speak to Julio who owns the house yesterday afternoon on Central Park. I didn't know how that would go - here is a man who doesn't know me from squat, I have set up a cat shelter on his property while he was having his unlived in home remodeled all last winter and this summer and spring, and asked me to have my stuff off it by end of July, when he was going to move his family in. He has slowly been removing my boards and such, and finally, I had to speak to him. I drove there but he was not home. I wrote out a note to leave for him, begging him to help me find a solution, as there are four cats at least that depend on that food that I leave, and that shelter. I then noticed a group of men across the street. I forgot to mention, the street was blocked off at the other end with yellow tape and several police cars. I decided to do a U-turn and go speak to the men, not knowing what to say, but started off with asking what happened down the street. They told me it was a shooting. I joked, during the day? thats not supposed to happen in the daytime, and they laughed. Come to find out these three black men, Bill, Bill's father Benny, and Bill's uncle, all knew who I was! I was the girl that feeds the cats across the street! I told them my plight, and to make a very long story (which I am good at!) short (which I am not good at!), Bill offered to help me move my shelter out of there and onto the bank owned property next door. This is the house that I reported the little white dog being neglected behind the house a year past, Appollo. The house is empty, and this man helped me carry this large shelter and boards to behind the property of the neighboring house. Not only did he do that, but knowing I would be going behind the house in the dark at 5 am, made me promise not to go there in the mornings. He said please go after work, that way I can see you and know you are safe. He is right, and I will try to get on that schedule. He then helped me set up the bowls with food, and went across to his house and got me a jug of water. Just as we met in the middle for me to get the water, I realized what a kind thing for this man to do, and it made me cry. I hugged him and thanked him. I told him his father raised a good man. I will never forget that kindness. Makes me want to cry now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment