Sunday, August 1, 2010

Victory


Yes, Sweet Victory. My 12 year old niece Brenna stayed overnight with me on Friday, she wants to be a veterinarian (sp?) someday, and wanted to go with me to see if we could trap the two baby kittens remaining in the vacant house on Niagara Street (picture of house in water consumption in vacant houses article in today's D & C - page 17!), where their mother was killed by a car the previous week, where Gina and I tried unsucessfully Friday morning, and where we rescued baby Mia with the broken leg weeks prior. I didn't have a lot of hope for this mission, but Brenna went along with me on my daily feedings, and we wound up setting a large trap for the kittens. We drove away for about five minutes, came back and lo and behold, one was in there. We brought the poor scared thing home, placed in bathtub, gave food and water and blanket, and then I proceeded to do what I always do. I am quite neurotic about things, so I HAD to get my grocery shopping done at 7 am. before the crowds come, I hate crowds. But I knew as soon as we returned, I would put off my early morning Saturday weekly cleaning of the house, to go get the other kitten. We did so, and it looked hopeless. The remaining kitten was bundled in a ball in the driveway of this house, looking completed devastated. No mother, no sibling. What was it to do. Brenna approached it from one way, I another, and it ran to the side into some bushes. I crawled under bushes to coax it back, and it did and there was Brenna waiting to scoop her up! YAYAYAYAYYAYAAYA! A tiny bite, and she/he was ours! YAY! They are both now bathed, they were so so dirty, and so flea ridden, but we were diligent in combing out the fleas, and bathing them (thank you Julie and Gina for your Dawn dish detergent advice). They are as cute as buttons. I am posting a picture of them for you pre-bath. Thank God for my niece, and thank God for helping us get them!

No comments:

Post a Comment