Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Streetlife

No, not the Al Jareau song.. (is it Al Jareau?) - its the life I see each morning. Its interesting actually... never a dull moment. My fingers are extremely sticky as I type this. Its also very hot and humid, once again, in Rochester. We have had excessively high heat and humidity this summer. Or is that just because thisis the first year I've gone without central air in my house due to it busting? Whatever, its just plain hot and sticky out there. Anyways, as I did my morning ritual - beginning with Red on Hayward, where there is a girl and her child sitting there every Monday thru Friday on the steps at 5:30. They greet me with a hello, I believe they are waiting for a bus to somewhere for the child. She always asks me now, after I told her I am trying to find a home for Red, if I found a home yet. I always say, no, but I am trying! Red is as cute as a button, and skinny too. And loveable. He really needs a forever home! After I left there, did 7th Street, then did corners Central and Goodman, where Stripes, Blackey and Smokey reside, and where they all really need forever homes too, I went to Pennsylvania Ave., where another kitty who is a dark short haired calico female waits for me each morning, I encountered two of three women who walk all over that neighborhood every single morning. They caught up with me at that moment and I greeted them and told them I envied them for their ability to walk each day and the great excercise they are getting. They called me the cat lady. They were very nice, used to do Neighborhood Watch stuff, but apparentely not any more. Didn't really get into it as I had several more stops to make before I had to rush home to do my thing before work. Then onto Central and Second where Benny and Whitey wait for me faithfully. I counted SEVEN cats there now, two are kittens, and one is just the cutest little fluffball - black and white- you've ever seen. As I walked to my car from there on the driveway to the street, two hookers shouted out Cat Lady, you are so sweet for what you do! That was really nice. They said some other stuff that I can't quote verbatim, but they also said there were two I didn't have to worry about anymore as their friends had taken them. I stressed the importance of telling their friends about getting them neutered. I hope they do. Anyways, other than that, it was an uneventful morning. I just wish they were all like that. Winter is coming. Dreaded winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment