Saturday, August 14, 2010

Insanity


Yesterday, Friday, was a bag of emotions for me. The prior evening, I had trapped the calico cat because a sweet girl named Andrea was going to foster her but needed her tested for leukemia before she got her. So I left work Thursday early, went and got her (she came to me easily) and I took her to the vet. I hadn't thought it out, but knew if she tested positive, she wouldn't be going back to the street, but probably euthanized. Well, she did test positive. A newer vet at the place I've gone to for over 16 years told me she would not euthanize it because it should be retested, but they did not have a differnt lot number for the test, and told me to bring it to Lollypop where if it tested negative, it would be a highly adoptable cat due to its colors, and temperment, sweet. I was upset about this, as it was now 5ish, and it had been a long day, and I was upset about her diagnosis. I said I would prefer not to do that but she insisted she would not put the cat to sleep without a second test. She offered to keep the cat overnight at the clinic, and I would pickup and drop at Lollypop the next day - I did and it was a very very emotional experience. My niece came with me, and she held 'Cali' in her lap in the back while Cali purred and cuddled. We unfortunately got there before it opened, so I had to sit there and contemplate what I as doing. There was an older adult man with two dogs who was sobbing to himself while he talked softly to the dogs that he was turning in, there was a woman who's disabled parents owned a farm that someone had dumped some cats and kittens at, and she was also there to turn those in. And here I was. It was horrible. I cry at the drop of a hat, so you can imagine what this was like for me. It was over, and I drove home with Brenna, we were both very quiet. Thank God for Andrea because she was willing to take another of the five kitties I knew would be great companions, so we had made another appt. for a stray later that day. In the meantime, my Toonces was having her bandage off at 2 that day, so we went to that appointment, and I knew I would have to say something about my discomfort at having my own vet tell me to bring a cat to Lollypop. Good thing I got my main vet because I told him of my concerns, and he, obvously can't say his vet might have been wrong, but did understand my point of view. I don't like to make my posts too long, so to make a long story short, we were unsucessful in getting my second candidate, Red, and had to cancel the afternoon testing appointment. Gotta love Andrea, she is willing to wait for me to try this again next week. So, it was quiet last evening, a relaxing evening, after such a trying morning. More on the cockapoo story tomorrow. I should have more details to share. A picture of sweet Cali is above.

No comments:

Post a Comment