Monday, April 21, 2014

Hello Monday!


It was a different kind of weekend for me.  I woke Thursday midnight not feeling quite right, and sure enough, the flu.  Not a pleasant way to begin a vacation day.  I said a prayer that it wouldn't last long - because no matter what, the cats would be hungry, and waiting for their one meal of the day.  Sure enough, I was able to sleep a bit more, and get up - certainly not bright-eyed and bushy-tailed - but enough to go out for an hour and do my thing.  I had another reason to get up.  A few weeks back, someone who found my blog reached out wanting to go with me some morning, and so we made plans for her to do it Friday morning.  So, needless to say, it was the best first meeting ever, but she was a trooper, and I managed to be somewhat coherent with her in explaining each of my stops.  I am not certain what she thought of the whole thing, but I managed to get her back to her car in one piece.  :)

So the rest of the weekend was hard for me because I am used to being on the go, I had a million and one things planned that I wanted to do, but my body wouldn't allow it.  But there was one chore that must be done, and that is feeding the 50+ cats that I feed in the inner city, the Beechwood section of Rochester, near the public market.  That doesn't include all the raccoons and such too.

There is not much to be said except that one cat on Central I have been feeding had a nasty sore on his tail a few weeks back and I treated him with meds daily, and its just about healed!  I was happy about that.  Saved a vet trip.  When I take these cats to the vet for treatment of a wound, its so hard to bring them back to their location and leave them.  Very hard.   This cat allowed me to shove the pill into his throat, with no struggle whatsoever.  Easiest cat to pill I have ever had!

Sunday Sheryl came by yesterday, on Easter Sunday, and helped me feed the babies their holiday meal.  She has been a big help to me on Sundays, and I do enjoy her company.   I am also grooming her to do my route in May when I have to travel and will be gone for three mornings.  I asked another girl for help, but I am hoping that I don't have to use her, because as busy as both of them are, this one has a lot more kitty issues to take care of - she is wanted all over town for help with cats!

I am still trying desperately to find a home for Celia, who is still confined to a room in my house.  And Fraser, dear Fraser, is still waiting on his forever home.  Please spread the word!

That's it for now.  Have a great day!

"People of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them.  They went out and happened to things."

5 comments:

  1. Well Janine I thank you so much for the opportunity to go with you Friday while you fed your colony. You are extremely dedicated, and loving to these very lost cats. They look forward to you every morning and I can tell that they most certainly know the sound of your vehicle! For most of these cats, you are the one and only thing they look forward to. I wanted to see Candy and I did, but she was kinda mad that you brought along some strange girl! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very, very much to the Cat lover who donated the $25.00 since my $100.00 Match Challenge. As stated last week as soon as the Donations reach $325.00 Karon and I will mail Janine $100.00 so she can continue to feed, shelter, medicate, foster and place into forever loving homes the many needy Cats she encounters daily.
    Thanking you all in advance for all you do for these helpless Felines.

    Walt & Karon Simoni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fraser does have a wonderful person who wants to adopt him... Unfortunately, she took ill and is in the hospital for a period. I'm feeling confident that she'll want him even more after she's released to her empty apartment. He'll be such a comfort to have (and needed distraction) as she recovers. -Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do hope you are feeling better. I see from Sheryl's post that Fraser has a potential home. Great news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janine!! Sorry you're sick. Hope the flu goes away soon.

    ~Vera.

    ReplyDelete