Friday, April 4, 2014

Beauty - Eye of Beholder

Even in the dark, you can see how filthy the area I feed cats in is.  In the winter, when its snow covered, there is beauty.  Even though a backdrop may be a boarded up house, its still has colors that are pleasing to the eye.  White and whatever color of the house, and the backdrop of trees.  But now that the snow is melted, you can see everything that was under the snow.  There is so much trash, so much broken glass, so much filth.  As I was walking in between two boarded up houses, headed to the back, in the dark, at 5:30 am. this morning, I thought no normal person would do this.  No person who was brought up in the country, or in the suburbs would be able to do this.  If it were 10 years ago, and I could see this in the daylight, I would be frightened to get out of my car.  But after so many years of doing this, day in and day out, you get used to it.  And you realize its no more dangerous than in the country, or in the burbs.  You have violence all over the place.  But you never get used to the filth.  Its very sad.  But I keep doing it for the cats.  They need me.  They're hungry, and they crave those three minutes I spend with them each day, and a gentle scratch on the head makes their day, I am sure.

To leave you with a good thought, I received this picture below from Cody (Calvin)'s mom.  This family adopted him over a month ago.  Cody was rescued from Hayward, but hung with his brother Fraser on Baldwin.  These cats traveled.  Cody was a mess, and had to have half his tail amputated when I got him into the vet.  After a lot of love, I had to give him up.  But look who loves him now!  McKenzie!  (and I just noticed her baby brother Brayden next to her!  Click on the pic to see it up close!)  What a great picture!  Thank you Rachel and family, for giving Cody a forever home!


McKenzie and Cody

"Don't be bothered about the problems.  Most problems are often coming from worrying about the future or the past.  Stop.  Live in Now." 

4 comments:

  1. Janine,
    If not for all your daily sacrifices would their be such a happy ending as evidenced with the beautiful photograph of McKenzie, Brayden and Cody. You are truly the Cat Angel. Not only did you rescue Cody from a life of despair on Hayward and Baldwin but you brought more joy into Rachel's household when they adopted Cody. Kudos to you for saving Cody and to Rachel for opening her heart and home to Cody.Thank you both!!!
    Walt & Karon Simoni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janine, I couldn't have said it better than Walt & Karon. You truly are an Angel.
      - Carol

      Delete
  2. Ahhh... a beautiful photo of Cody with wee ones who love him. What a great rescue & adoption story. Thank you, Janine & Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet photo! Cody looks like he fits in perfectly with his new human siblings.

    ReplyDelete