Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Success!


Well, yesterday, I reached out to my trapping guru, Laura, for a little help in trying to get this very pregnant kitty on Central.  I figured I had a few strikes against me on my own.  First, it would be pouring (which it was not).  Thank you Jesus!  Second, my traps suck.  Was afraid of malfunction.  The door slamming shut when bumped even slightly.  Third, I get just plain nervous.  But She, the Great One, came through for me.  There she was with her big Tomahawk drop trap, and BAM!  SLAM!  In goes a pregnant cat.  What we THINK is a pregnant cat, she surely looks it. But I am not quite convinced, sadly enough, that this is the very large pregnant cat I've seen there for the past three mornings.  As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen the one she did get, but nevertheless, one less litter to be born outdoors, and when you think about it, SEVERAL litters less to be born outdoors just from one pregnant cat.  Her litter would grow, if they survived, and get pregnant, and have babies, and so on and so on. 

I am going to try my best this spring to try trapping a lot, as much as I can, even if its once a week.  There are at least three locations where there are a lot of new cats I am seeing, and feeding!  One is Hayward, the second is Baldwin, and the third is Fourth and Pennsylvania.  A ton of cats at that last spot.  Ton.  That includes Big Red #2, and Red mommy that was spayed a few weeks ago, again, thanks to Laura.

Its crazy.  Crazy Crazy.  I was explaining to someone what I do yesterday, and I was telling her, what I do is just for a tiny tiny tiny fraction of animals, and making a tiny dent compared to the what is needed in this city alone.  But hey, I have made a difference, I believe, in this quadrant of the city.  Even though there are new ones popping up, as long as I can walk and breathe, I will continue the good fight.  Just wish I had more help.  :(

Thanks for reading, and have a great day!
 
"It is better to look ahead and prepare
than look back and regret."

2 comments:

  1. You HAVE made a difference and we admire everything you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job catching the kitty! I know what you mean about trapping making you nervous. When I was trapping my kittens and momma cat last summer (I had never done it before), I found it very upsetting. The first one I caught freeked out and got his foot stuck in the trap and I ended up letting him go. Luckily I had help from a wonderful and very experienced woman I know through a local cat rescue. She agree to come over and help me trap the next one. It was much better with help, but I felt so bad because I had won their trust by feeding them and then I tricked them! Like I said, I found it very upsetting. At least after I let them go they didn't hold it against me and they won't be making babies! Wendy B

    ReplyDelete