Friday, April 25, 2014

Fastest Draw in the West!

Cody/Calvin
Well, shaking out a throw rug this morning I bent my pinky nail back and it broke on the nail bed.  Gross.  Blood.  I can't type right now, so making this quick.  TGIF.  It was a very easy morning for me this morning, I made it in nearly record time.  I left the house at 5, and got home at 6.  Very nice.  Very quick, very easy!  Dexter on Stout has now been on Chamberlain two mornings in a row now.  Doesn't look like much was eaten under the porch on Stout.  Chased away a raccoon there two mornings ago.  I think they sometimes get so spooked, the know not to come back.  Others, they saunter over during the daylight hours and have their feast.

The picture above is of Calvin, now named Cody, in his new home.  What a fat and happy cat that is.  If you will recall, I fed him most of the winter under a bench on Baldwin, and after rescuing his brother Fraser there, found Calvin on Hayward, with a badly infected tail tip, and rescued him soon thereafter.  He had partial tail amputation, was loved and whipped back into shape by me, and we found his forever home with a wonderful family of four - two little children included.  He is loved and spoiled rotten, and neither I, nor he, couldn't be happier!  (was that very bad grammar?  or was it good grammar?  can anyone correct me on that?) ha.

Candy went in for her testing, flea meds, shots and deworming - she is negative on all counts.  I am thrilled with this because she is a very very very sweet cat.  All that to the tune of $184.  What in the world was I thinking?  Why would I go to that vet?  County Line. They are very good when you go through Petsnipper through Habitat for Cats, but Candy had already been spayed.   I also thought Candy would be fostered by a friend who lives out that way, but I changed my mind because of Celia being adopted and I had more room in my house, but even so, what was I thinking?   I must clarify what I can and can't do at this low income clinic.  I know I can have feral cats brought in and spayed/neutered, with shots, for $50, but not sure about wellness visits.  I don't think I can.  So, I am going to be charged up the ying yang for kitties I am trying to adopt out.  And I don't charge more than a minimum of $40 when I adopt out, which is why donations are so important to me, but so rare. 

Please spread the word about my plight.  Ten dollars a day would buy the cats one days worth of food - an 18 pound bag of dry food.  Tomorrow, on Saturday, I will be spending $70+ on dry food alone to feed for the next week because I am all out.  That's what it costs.  That's for dry food - alone.  Please spread the word.

Have a great day!!!

12 comments:

  1. We are fed up with local vets. We went to County Line for 8 years, good care but very expensive. Now we go to Village Vet in Webster and no better!! Plus we do not like the vets attitude, so we are searching for a nice, reasonalbe vet now yet again! Live in Webster, any help?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Luck!!! It is a sad indictment however ,they all seem to care about the almighty dollar more than the well being of our pets. Let's chip in and send Janine to Vet school. She would definitely give them better care for 1/4 the cost.

      Walt

      Delete
  2. Thank You very very very much to whomever donated the recent $100.00. As promised Karon and I will mail out our $100.00 Match to Janine immediately. Thanks again!!!.

    Walt & Karon Simoni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your challenge offer Walt. What a great way to move Janine's tote-board! -carol

      Delete
  3. As unpopular as i am probably making myself.... I agree, it is difficult to find an animal practice that has not followed the same road as the human med. practice of steering clients into more medication more testing more exays more appointments, and never eve,r a refund for meds which did not help, or exam /test that did not nail the problem !

    ReplyDelete
  4. The RCAC Clinic on Bay St would have cost FAR less. It is open to anyone for walk in wellness care and urgent care visits. The prices are far more reasonable than local vets. 288-0600 the hours are on the voicemail.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janine - if things work out with Candy you'll be reimbursed lickity-split for her doctor visit. It appears that the high cost of health care is the same for animals as it is for people. No easy answer.... -Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hairdresser swears by an old-time vet in either Canandaigua or Macedon. I can't remember his name, but if person is interested in pursuing this I shall find out and post

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES RAC IS CHEEPER!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, so glad to hear that Candy is negative. She seems like such a sweetie and deserves a life of leisure from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see the Wegmans' litter box in the background! Great price at $8.99 for 40lbs, I just bought some today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing pics of Cody on your blog we love him Soo much! I also love telling people about the amazing work your doing, I'm hoping once these kittens are weaned off mama and adopted out I'll be able to help you out more. Keep up the awesome work!
    God Bless
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete