Monday, April 14, 2014

Beauty Amongst the Ruins

Mr. Whiskers from Sixth!
 Good Day!  Its the beginning of a new week.  Spring has sprung.  Or it did.  Today, 80 degrees, tomorrow, 20!  :)  Oh Joy!  I did a lot of yard work this weekend, and witnessed a lot of my little spring flowers blooming.


Sunday Sheryl came by - on Sunday of course.  We went and did my feedings in the city together, and she helped me fix up the location on Short Street, the one that some kind of rodent had filled up with dirt.  We figure it was a rat.  We took everything apart, placed boards over the ground, and tidied up.  We also tidied up the Parsells spot, where I feed in back of the house of the young gay black man that has allowed me to feed there.  If you will remember, his car was stolen over a month ago, and we helped him out last week after he called me to see if  I could give him a ride to the place where his car, that was recently found, was sitting at.  So, we helped him out with rides.  He was very grateful.  Anyways, this spot had some creature digging up dirt also, so we fixed it as best as we could.  Meanwhile, we had two red kitties waiting for us to finish up and leave so that they could eat!  Thank you Sheryl for this help!

That same afternoon, Kristin came over and we went BACK to the inner city, which I always dread going to in the daylight, its so depressing, to help me fix up a few others.  We went behind the spot on Fourth and Pennsylvania, and placed a pallet down, and tidied up there.  Its so nice I myself could live there!  I showed her some of my spots, and at the other spot on Pennsylvania, near Second, we spotted a dog in back yard barking her little head off at us, on the adjacent street.  We walked closer, and this dog was practically lifted up on the heavy chain it was tied with, so that in barking at us, it was practically choking.  There was another pit bull on the other side of the yard chained up, barking.  We immediately thought of calling 911.  Which we did.

Not even 10 minutes went by when I spotted the Animal Control Services van driving, and we went to the location to see if that was where it was going, and sure enough, it was!  Really great response from RAS!  And it turns out that it was my friend, Officer Llalka, responding!  I rolled down my window and said hey!  She came over to me and greeted me warmly.  She has helped me out in some tight spots, and I am so grateful, and Rochester should be so grateful, for this officer, and the above and beyond measures she takes to keep our animals safe.  She sees so much abuse, and yet maintains the degree of compassion that it takes to do the job.  Thank you so much Officer.  And thanks Kristin, for your help!

I chased a million racoons this morning - and I never exaggerate!  A million I say!  :)  They are so bad.  And some are fearless.  They will let you get really close before they start skedaddling up the tree.  Skedaddle.  Is that the way you spell it?  That is a fun, rarely used word these days!  I like it!

While out with Kristin, it was daylight and I could actually see!  At the Stout Street location, which is a boarded up house that I feed a black cat under the porch each day - same location that the garage was boarded up and had to have a friend come by and pry it open to help shelter the cats there from the horrible weather we had this winter, there were these beautiful type of crocuses blooming.  I couldn't believe I was actually stepping on these flowers each morning - its so dark out when I am there.  It was amazing to see this beautiful color, with such a drab backdrop behind.  There truly is beauty, everywhere.  (must take picture tomorrow!)

Candy

 Candy was waiting for me on Hayward this morning, and as I held her, I promised her I would find her a home.  Fingers crossed!  Spread the word!

Fraser

Celia

My other two, Celia and Fraser, are still looking for their forever homes.  Please spread the word! 

Have a great day!


"Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it." ~ Mark Twain

2 comments:

  1. Hey Janine! It was great spending yesterday with you - there is very some sad stuff out there - but knowing how much you help alleviate it makes it a tad easier. We also had fun too and helped that little dog - and I too was very impressed with the short time it took the animal officer to respond. She seems great!! I hope we will get an update from her. Have a great night!
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I'm glad you were able to help a dog, too!

    I thought Mr. Whiskers was adopted? Or was there another one?

    ReplyDelete