Friday, November 8, 2013

Thank God for Weekends



 
Boy, its been a long week.  It always is when you have a full-time job and no day off.  We are super busy readying for the big gala we put on yearly for the hospital, and its next Saturday.  I will be tied up working that from at least 2pm. to midnight.  Its going to be a very long day.  Not for the guests, but for us employees!

This Sunday I will be going out to the barn to check on Cedric and Prince.  I've been advised that one week is certainly not enough, so I may take that into consideration when I go out there, even though I feel Prince is coming around.  I think another week will do them much better.  I've known this fact since I've done a few barn relocations, but it was usually in someone else's capable hands that took care of this, and knew what they were doing.  These girls that own the barn aren't that familiar with relocating barn kitties, and are depending on my expertise.  So, I think I have to make that tough decision for the kitties to keep them caged for another week.  :(  They are safe and warm, albeit a bit cramped, but they won't die from being caged. 


This morning on Ferndale and Webster, where I relocated and rescued several cats, last one Luigi, I was confronted by the Puerto Rican man who lives on the corner, he was standing in his doorway when I got out of my car.  Yes, I know, I was supposed to stop feeding there, and was going to until I realized that there are still cats there depending on the food - ones that I don't see.  I AM going to....  I am.  He gave me the nod - he doesn't speak much English - to go ahead, and I thanked him and poured the food and water down beside the tree next to his driveway.   I really am going to try to STOP feeding there.  One less stop for me in the morning, and I just have to pray these cats will find another food source.   That crazy Marilee said she feeds at her house around the corner, but I doubt that.  She's a fruitcake.  It is hard to eliminate a spot.  Right now I have maybe 15 locations where I feed cats.  TWO are unprotected, there is no shelter.  That being Ferndale and Webster, and Garson.  Garson has four cats waiting for me each morning.  I don't know what I will do when the real winter weather hits. 

My friend Sheryl, the girl who has been tagging along with me on Sunday mornings on my route, came and got Rupert yesterday, to bring to her home for fostering.  He is a BEAUTIFUL white, golden-eyed cat that I've had neutered and tested last week, and he is doing great.  I need to promote him to find him a great home.  Please pass the word!

That's it for today.  I thank you for tuning into my life and reading about my travels into the hood each morning.  Its cost me a lot, not only money, but also time, and for as long as I am able, I will continue to try to help these homeless animals, and do what I can for them.  I hope you will also consider donating to me, and perhaps consider fostering one of these poor babies to get them off these streets and into a safe and warm home.

Have a GREAT weekend!

8 comments:

  1. I agree the cats should be caged for at least two weeks... I also think that it is to dangerous for you to feed at that location you go to and you should stop before more cats start depending on that food... they were eating somewhere else before but are now getting in the habit of going to "Janine's Cafe". As long as you are feeding cats there you are going to be coaxing them to come to that location and it isn't safe for you and really not safe for the cats there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Janine and you know how much I love you. If something happens to you (God forbid) ALL the cats will be affected, not to mention a ton of people sad. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know better than anybody what kind of help would serve you best darl'in, just ask and it shall yours. Every time I see Garson st., get a mention from you, i go to my Sandy (big Red ) and gaze at him in his now heated bed, snuggled there with little Monkey girl. They have there own electric cat beds each, but insist on squeezing into just the one, sometimes I cant even find my little Monkey girl, he , Sandy, sits in front of her ( as she iS always behind him ) at the entry to their hutch, as if protecting her,..... "ownership of her" statement I think ! they are too darling for words , those two :) Thank you for letting me have them Janine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This may be a silly idea because I don't know the area where you feed - could you move the food down a few houses a day until you get the cats in a better area?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the first posted comment, also. I don't think this Ferndale/Webster spot is safe for either you or the cats. Since you aren't seeing cats there, you can't be sure whether in fact it is cats, racoons, possums, skinks, etc. that are eating the food. It is also a fact that when you remove the cats from the spot, as you did, much to your credit, if you continue to supply food, eventually more cats will move into the spot. You really shouldn't coax cats into the spot if people there are in any way unfriendly because you can't be sure the people won't poison, shoot or cause harm to those cats. It would probably be a good idea to discontinue this stop. Even though Marilee is somewhat odd, is there any possibility you could work with her, feeding at her home? If you provided food and shelter, could this work?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janine, where did you see the black and white tuxedo cat in the second picture you posted today?? He looks like my Felix who has been missing for 4 months!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking Rupert, Sheryl! I know there must be someone who wants a gorgeous white cat with Siamese markings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rupert is going to be a great cat for someone. He holds his tail up high as he explores new places...

    ReplyDelete