Thursday, April 3, 2014

Borrowed Time


That is what my shelters - all 16 - are on.  I go from spot to spot each morning at 5 am in the dark, and each time I pull up to one, I pray its still there.  Either they are at a boarded up house, or in an open field, if the house gets demolished, its over there, and hooligans come along and trash my stuff, its over there too.  I've done a lot of rebuilding through out the years.  At my Central location, I lost two good shelters that I had placed there under the tree to punks destroying them for no reason, until Kristin and Darrin built a large furniture shelter and placed a cord with a lock around it and the tree, so someone would have to take a hammer or chainsaw and destroy it completely. Its been a decent shelter to a few cats throughout this brutal winter we've had.  Thanks K & D!

As I pulled up to the above mentioned location this morning, as I got out I thought I heard a conversation, but it was Seven, the prostitute that lives around there, talking to me as if I were standing there for hours having a conversation with her.  She must have been loaded, but I have to be honest, she is a sweet - probably middle aged black girl.  She lost her baby last year, which I wrote about in a past post, and I think she is haunted.  She always tells me she is doing alright even though she "lost my baby." I am sure this is part of her conversation she has with everyone she meets.  She doesn't have the resources to deal with it, let alone a normal life.  Anyways, I was busy placing food and water and dry towels down for the three cats waiting for me to do it, while she was having a conversation with me across the grass median as if I could hear every word.  Which I couldn't.  But it didn't matter to her, she was enjoying just chatting away, while we then wished each other well, and god bless.

Then, at my Fourth and Central location, where Big Red #2 hangs, as I pulled away from that spot, feeding at least four that I could see, there was a car at the stop sign.  As I pulled behind it to go to my next spot, it sat there.  And sat there.  So I tooted my horn.  Nothing.  So I backed up and pulled up to it, and there was the driver and its passenger, both black, sucking face.  I slammed on my horn, and they didn't move a muscle.  Good Lord.  What is wrong with people.  So many abnormal people out there.  But then again, what is normal.  That surely isn't.  This was another instance when I wish I had been a cop, in my cop car - SURPRISE!  Get a room or move on.

At the Baldwin location I counted seven cats that I could see just sitting there waiting for me.  And at Chamberlain, I saw three new ones sitting there.  So not only Lucy, and Candy who ran from the previous spot on Hayward to greet me at the next spot, but these three new ones, that I couldn't make out their coloring in the dark.  There are so many out there.  I wish I had help getting these cats TNR'd like I had help years ago.  Just a big massive week long sweep of them.  Hopefully soon I can begin to do this.  At $50 per cat.  Ouch.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. That was wonderful when you were able to be part of that spay/neuter gift with Lollypop. The city needs something like that every year.

    Please be careful about honking your horn at people in the hood! Sheesh. You never know who might blow your head off.

    ReplyDelete