Monday, March 3, 2014

Scenes

Look at this little peanut.  I rescued her just this past week.  It was 6 am., dark, just 20 degrees, freshly fallen snow, and as I was at my 2nd, or 2nd to last, depending on the order I did all 16 locations that I go to every single day to feed on an average of 3 cats waiting for their food for the day, she ran up to me.  Just three months old, she is the prettiest, friendliest, most cuddliest kitten.  I've named her Bittens (until someone adopts her - it inevitably happens!).  Spread the word.  She needs a permanent home before I fall in love with her!





I begin my days at 3:45 a.m. - I get the coffee going quickly so that I am fully awake and prepared to drive into the inner city at 5 am., get out of my car, trudge through the snow through vacant lots, on boarded up house porches, and behind either occupied, or vacant houses.  There I find the shelters I've built up that will hopefully house between three to four cats to help them survive through the winter.  It doesn't matter if its a blizzard, a thunder and lightning storm, winds up to 50 mph, I am out there, because these cats are waiting for me.  Their only meal of the day.  I go through 18-20 pounds of dry food every single day.  I also go through 24 regular sized cans of cat food, every single day.  I go through ten towels a day, if it snows, or rains.  I use the towels to place under the food and water so that they have some small measure of comfort for the few minutes they gobble their food down.  It takes me between 3-5 mintes per stop on average.  Some a little longer while I hold or pat one of the friendlier ones.

This morning the temperature was 9 degrees, but with the winds they say it felt like 10 below.  Well, guess what.  That's what it really did feel like.  The winds were whipping, and the snow was flying.  I told the black kitty on Stout out loud that it was a tough winter for him, and that it would soon be over.  To hang in there.  I saw Candy on Hayward.  I must get her off the street.  She is too sweet to suffer as she has been.  I must get this little kitten adopted, and Teddy adopted, and Fraser adopted!  Help me please by spreading the word! 

Here are some pics I took this morning:  Have a great day...

Waiting patiently for me to leave (click on photo to zoom in) on Pennsylvania

Milly on Short

Baldwin Beauties


HAYWARD AVENUE



Candy and suspected pregnant Tabby cat in background (or she is fat)
 
 
STOUT STREET:




Tires placed here recently next to garage

My shelters are inside this boarded up garage
 
 
"God helps those that are willing to help themselves, those that are unwilling are left to contemplate the lesson." 


2 comments:

  1. Janine,
    Hang in there as you told the Kitty at Stout St. Spring is around the corner and as you know this will make your very difficult job a tab easier. Bless you for all you do everyday for these helpless creatures. Thank you for letting me know you recieved my $100.00 dollar check I sent from the latest challenge. Special thanks to the Special person who made the $100.00 DONATION I matched. Janine needs, appreciates and deserves all the help we can give her so she can continue her great mission. Thank you everbody because every bit of help counts and is greatly needed.Walt Simoni

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you'd brought Bittens with you on Saturday we probably wouldn't have let you take her home! LOL! She's just so cute.
    Hang in there! Winter can't hold on forever.

    ReplyDelete