Thursday, March 13, 2014

What can I say...

This morning was probably the hardest I've had in many years.  The hardest, the saddest, the kind of morning where I just wanted to cry, but I knew I had to just keep going until I finished, despite it nearing 7 am., having left the house at 4:45 am.  We had two feet of snow, and let me tell you, it was for real.  I've seen so much sadness in my years of doing this.  Wet cats, sick cats, dead cats.  But when you spend an entire year building up shelters for these animals, for me at the 16 different locations that I do, and to have each of them obliterated after one big snowstorm like we had yesterday, you really wonder how long you can continue.  At each shelter, they were either covered so the cat couldn't get in/out, or so packed with snow you couldn't see the dishes until you shoveled.  Packed with snow.  And even the tote shelters, the entrances had snow inside them.  I used at least 20 towels this morning - and brought another 20 home with me.  It took me at least 10 minutes at each spot to shovel a path to get to them, shovel a space for me to kneel down and clear it of snow, place food and water. They were not safe shelters for them during this storm, that some say was one of five major storms we've had in over a century.  I wish I had pictures to show you, but I was exhausted.

I will get over it, but I feel sheer exhaustion after this morning.  I wish I had help.  Kings was kind enough to stand there and hold the food and water while I shoveled (bad back), but that was it.  Thank you Kristin for the offer if you were able.

Sorry for whining this morning all.  But this winter has taken its toll on me.


Update from Teddy's new mom:

Hi! Just read your blog for the day and wanted to give you an update on Teddy. He is warming up nicely! He spent almost the whole morning downstairs and then another big chunk this afternoon with us. When he is downstairs with us, he often comes up to one of us, rubs against us, or will roll over on his back to have his tummy rubbed.  I am still trying to get Claire (18mos) to be "gentle" with him. She likes him so much and gets so excited that she sometimes puts her hands on him too hard instead of just a gentle pet. He tolerates it well but she needs to learn. Also I am very gun shy right now bc our last cat was so aggressive that I didn't let Ava anywhere near him. I am trying to learn to trust again, that he won't do anything aggressive towards us. It really affected me though :( We are really enjoying Teddy though, and he is becoming more and more playful. Loves to chase balls, toys, etc. 
Stay warm and safe!
Angela

I love this quote.  Have a great day everyone!

"What I do today is important because I am exchanging
a day of my life for it."

7 comments:

  1. Janine,
    You are truly the Cat Angel. If more of us could do half of what you do on a daily basis for our Feline friends their lives would be remarkably improved. Karon and I were really concerned about your welfare this morning due to the extreme weather conditions. You are a true inspiration!!!!!!. Bless you and thanks for all you do for these defenseless animals. They wouldn't survive without your divine intervention!.
    Walt & Karon Simoni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janine, I'm so sorry it was impossible for you this morning. That snow really made your morning routine so much harder and longer. You do good everyday - we all love you. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering if you saw any of the kitties this morning. They are so resourceful- i'm sure they took shelter under porches at least if the shelters/huts they were using had wind and snow blowing in. The wind was coming from a different direction than normal. I had places drifted over and huts buried where they are usually facing away from the wind. The good news is it is supposed to warm up soon and hopefully this will be it for winter!!! Cheer up its almost over!!!!
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      Thank you also for everything you do each day for all your colonies of Cats. Hope all is well with you and keep up the excellent work.
      Walt Simoni

      Delete
  4. I was thinking about you this morning as I shoveled out for my feral kittens. Luckily everything stayed dry for them. Their houses are on my deck so I've got them pretty well covered. They didn't even come out until around 10:00 a.m. this morning - can't say I blame them! I sure hope this is it for this year! Hang in there! Wendy B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew this morning would be a nightmare for you! And the poor cats. :(
    I'm happy to hear that Teddy is settling in at his new home. I'm a little sad that he didn't stay with his foster family because he was so cute playing with the little dog. But I guess that's what being a foster is all about, a temporary place to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Add me to your list of 'thinking of you and your cats this morning'. My husband got up and shoveled out the driveway at 3:30am then headed off to Rochester to work. A trip that usually takes 50 minutes took over an hour and a half. He called to say half the workforce didn't show up, the ones who DID come in came from farthest away!
    So I was thinking of you out there in all that snow, alone....and your cats.
    My feral cats didn't come to eat, no sign of them in my garage spots either so I don't know where they went. They haven't shown up today....
    Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers....

    ReplyDelete