Friday, February 28, 2014

Zoey

It was a terrible morning.  Bitter cold.  At one point I had to sit in car and warm my finger back up, frostbite was surely setting in at that point.  I saw many desperate cats, with very red noses.  I also believe there are two pregnant cats getting closer to me, but not close enough.  Its terrible.  If you don't like sadness, don't read this post today. 

I got the following yesterday from the girl who adopted Winkie (renamed Zoey) in the fall, whom my neighbor Tracy fostered for a little bit also after I rescued this little four month old kitten from the streets of Rochester.  She's not even a year old.   This is a real heartbreaker for me.  I am incredibly sad today.

Hi Janine,
I wish I was writing you with better news, but sadly I am not. Dan and I will be putting Zoey to sleep on Friday. The virus ( dry FIP) has traveled to her central nervous system meaning she struggles to keep her balance, seizes when sleeping and incontinent. We have done everything we possibly can. We would love nothing more than to keep her with us forever, but there is nothing more we can do.  I just know the fact that she is peeing on herself is humiliating for her. I want her to leave us with some dignity and no longer suffering. She is still as cute as ever and we are madly in love with her. We will miss her terribly.
Please keep us in your thoughts on Friday.
Xoxoxo
Chelsea
 



These are the words I wrote her, as if they are any measure of comfort.  I feel guilt, even though I know I could not have known about it, that I brought such joy into someone's life, and then caused such grief. 

Dear Chelsea:

There are no words that can accurately describe what I am feeling.  It’s a combination of great sadness, great heartache, guilt (I feel bad to have put this heartache on you both), gratitude to you and Dan for taking her in, gratitude that I removed this baby girl from a short and sad life on the street. 

Please just remember, what you did and are doing was and is the kindest thing you can do for this little girl.  Animals don’t really have the concept of time, they don’t know if their life is too short or not, they aren’t scared, and they can’t feel sadness, so remember, it’s only US that will suffer, she won’t. 

I will say a prayer for Zoey – and I know she will be in heaven where everyone who has gone before her will be waiting for her.

XXOO

God Bless Zoey. 

7 comments:

  1. Now my mascara is running. Damn. You're right that she doesn't understand time or rather, mortality so she's not sad. But I have seen animals mourn so I know they feel sadness, as well as joy, emarrasement and fear, curiosity, devotion, responsibility... I envy them in how they experience emotions spontaneously and don't carry them around as we humans do. God Bless all of you who support this mission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm crying right now. I feel so bad for them - it makes me remember when I had to make the same decision for my pets in the past - the feelings are still very strong when I think about how hard it was. I'm just so happy that Zoey was able to experience what life should be like for all of these kitties. What wonderful people they are for trying everything they possibly could for her - many people would have just thrown her away. Even though her life was short, it was wonderful and that's what matters. Wendy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectly said Wendy, God bless Chelsea and Dan, there was not one thing, that they did not do, for love of Zoey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will admit (and have no problems doing so) that I also am sitting here writing this and balling at the same time. Dan and Chelsea gave Zoey all the love and kindness that all these abandoned Felines deserve. They made the biggest sacrifice of all by putting Zoey Angel to rest as opposed to selfishly keeping her alive as many often do. I salute them for their kindness in life and Death for Zoey. Eventually, time will heal their sorrow and perhaps they will have the strength to adopt another of Janines rescues and give it the same love they gave Zoey Angel.
    R.I.P.Zoey Angel
    Walt Simoni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janine,
      I would be remiss if I didn't state that had it not been for your hard work and personal sacrifices Zoey would not have been rescued and placed with such loving and compassionate parents as Chelseab and Dan.You saved Zoey from a life of Hell on the streets and introduced her to kindness and caring. It is of much comfort to me that Zoey did not have to die by herself on the mean streets of Rochester thanks to you.You are truly the Cat Angel.
      Walt Simoni

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your kind words, they mean more to us than you know. Janine, thank you for bringing Zoey to us, we loved that we had the opportunity to take care of her. Xoxo Chelsea & Dan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww baby Zoey you've had an amazing life baby. You'll have all the cat nip in the world. I can't imagine if this was my Larry. I'm in tears writing this right now my hearts just broken.

    ReplyDelete