Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Its a New Day... Rejoice!


A very dull, quiet morning out there.  Saw one ambulance with its lights on, but no sound.  Smelled one very fine skunk that had recently given off a whiff of its pungent, putrid scent.  There is nothing quite like the smell of a skunk.  My father used to have a pet skunk when I was very young.  He must have had it unskunked or something, because my memories of that skunk was of it being in his bathroom, for some reason, and I don't recall that smell as part of my memory.  He also used to have a horse, that bit my hand, because I did not hold the sugar cube I was feeding it properly.  He also had a dog named Friday, I believe it was a German Shepard - these are the few memories I have of my father, who passed when I was very young, and the animals we were introduced to as children, my sister and me.  (or is it my sister and I?  - I always get that confused!).  My sister occasionally reads this blog, and I would love for her to correct me, as she always does, plus she has the better memory over mine, and she is older!  Go figure.


Bittens, the baby kitten I rescued three weeks ago from Central, who was out in the 20 degree snowing weather we had at 6 am. that morning, was spayed yesterday.  She came out of it fine, and is a happy playful little kitten that needs a home.  My mother has neighbors that are looking for a kitten, and I was telling my mother, who thought she would just come over this weekend and take the kitten and if they wanted the kitten, she would leave it with them, without me meeting them, or asking for the small donation that I always ask for.  I told her I always asked for at least a minimum of $40 when I 'sell' a cat (her words), and because these were her neighbors 'who do a lot for her', she didn't think it was appropriate.  I told her that Bittens alone cost me just over $150 in total vet visits, and that $40 minimum was not asking a lot.  Anyways, we joked, because she said she would not take the cat over knowing this - I said - well just tell them that Bittens ran away.  We laughed.  My mother and I can laugh over the silliest, stupidest things, even though sometimes I want to shake her (but not hard Mom!).  :)


Fraser, Bittens and sweet little Celia all need homes.  Please spread the word.  Once I get them homes, I can rescue pretty Candy, who cries every morning for me to hold her.  She is living on Hayward, and the little unneutered boy who crawls out of the plastic tote shelter each morning to greet me.  They are next on my list.

Have a GREAT close-to-spring day!





2 comments:

  1. Isnt my big Red from Haywood ? he is a super lover, maybe cos they live in such a depressed neighbourhood, they cant believe their luck when you find them a familly Janine ? xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quiet and uneventful morning are good! I was so happy to come home last night and see my feral kittens laying on the deck sunning themselves! I know they are ready for the warmer weather! I'm glad Bittens is going okay after surgery - she's so adorable I'm sure someone will adopt her soon! Wendy B

    ReplyDelete