Monday, March 31, 2014

Eight Inches

Sunday morning:

Yep, its March 30th, and we had another eight inches of very heavy snow overnight.  It was brutal on my back this morning.  Not to mention all the shelters were buried in snow, so it was brutal on the cats too.  People keep saying, this is the last one, that was the last one, but I am not so sure.  I do know in my heart that its not going to last forever, but it really has been a very very very long winter, and we are all sick of it.  I saw someone in the hood shoveling, and I thought 'this would make a great hot cocoa morning' - I imagined myself driving around with a thermos of hot cocoa and opening my window, and giving the guy a cup, and a smile.  :)  I am such a dreamer.  But it would have been a nice thing to do.  The guy shoveling could have been a very nice man, maybe old, maybe with a heart condition, who knows.  Everyone is battling something right?

I am in the middle of laundry.  I had some very wet towels to pick up and replace with dry ones at almost all of my 16 locations.  I shoveled and shoveled.  At my first spot on 7th, the large board must have come down overnight because it was buried under the snow.  I was able to see the inner workings behind it that I usually can't see because of the board, as I walked up to it and saw the black cat come out of one shelter, and another come out of another.  So I am glad they were using them, and that it provided safety and comfort for them.

Monday morning:

Well, I certainly got a good leg workout this morning.  The snow that fell yesterday was as hard as a rock walking on it.  There was no give.  It felt like walking with 50 pound weights on each leg.  There were more kitties out this morning waiting.  And lots of wet towels.  Tomorrow will be an even bigger mess because we are supposed to be in the 60s today, and there will be a ton of snow melt.  Oh, my poor washer.  I am hoping to survey all my shelters soon, to see what did and didn't make it through the winter.  I know there may be a lot of wet straw inside many of them.  It must be dry - its vital to keep the cats that use them warm.  And its nice bedding to nestle in. 

I finally received an update on Teddy - he is the cat I rescued from Parsells who had the rodent ulcer on his mouth.  He was fostered by a woman named Gail, who did such a great job getting him ready for his forever home.  He was a street cat, but underneath, a pussycat.  Such sweet cats out there that one might never know if they are not rescued.  I am so grateful for all the cats I've been able to get off the streets and into loving homes.  One cat at a time.  :)



Here is what his new mom has to say:
"Janine, I have been meaning to write to you but time always gets away from me :) Teddy is doing great! He spends pretty much the day with us downstairs and usually either sleeps in his favorite red chair or up in our room at night. He LOVES to play! He is constantly chasing balls and other random stuff that are the kids toys which is pretty funny to see. The kids just love him too; Ava is so gentle with him and Claire talks about him all the time. I don't have any pictures right now bc my phone won't send pictures but give me a little time and I can probably send one via email from my husband's phone."

Have a great day!


"Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men but from doing something worthwhile." 

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear this update on Teddy. It was so hard for me to give him up and I still miss him, but hearing how happy he is now makes it all worthwhile. Thank you to his new family. -Gail Gutfrucht, Teddy's foster Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great news about Teddy! Another success! Thanks Gail for helping Teddy become the great cat he could be! I could not believe how much snow we got! I think my feral kittens were just as shocked as I was - when I got up Sunday morning they came out of their winter house and just stood there in the snow looking at me like "What the heck!" They were pretty happy once I had a chance to shovel the snow off the deck! Wendy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that Teddy is settling in with his new family and that they adore him. How could they not? Bless you, Gail, for fostering Teddy and giving him a fighting chance at getting the perfect forever family! I think being a foster parent is so brave and selfless, knowing that you'll get attached but being willing to let go for the good of the animal.

    ReplyDelete