Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Spring Fever


Fraser
 
I got an update on Fraser yesterday, from his foster mama - he is the little lovey that was so sickly looking, under neath the bench on Baldwin that I fed for the entire winter, until I just couldn't take it anymore, he had to be rescued, and Sheryl was willing to step up to the plate and love him until he forever home could be found.  She's done a great job, but we do need to find him a home!  He is Calvin/Cody's brother, and the family that adopted Calvin is not quite ready for a second cat in their lives right now, but I am working on them!  HA.:

"Fraser is making himself at home, although the cats won't warm up to him. He still runs off when I approach him but he wants me to follow him upstairs to give him undivided attention... Scratching, brushing his hair, teasing with his catnip mice... then stay so he can sit on my lap at the computer. He prefers his room to the hostility of the crew downstairs.
He's so much like a kitten, too. He wants to chase my cats, but usually as play (they don't see it that way)! And toys! He chases the laser, beats around the rattle balls, chews on all stuffed mice and rolls himself up like a hotdog in a rug when I give him a pile of catnip.
His fur is growing back, it's short in the bladed areas but the color pattern and silkiness is back. It's not patches of fuzzy cream undercoat anymore.
Someone will get a great kitty.
OMG. I just hissed for real at old man Tucker because he was hissing at me for... well I'm not sure.. He's just been crabby and on edge because the other cats pick on him, more lately because Fraser has them frazzled! Hahahahaaaa."

 
Sweet little Bittens, who almost lost her mittens if I hadn't rescued her off the very busy street of Central Park, is going into surgery this morning to be spayed.  I always feel SO bad when I have to starve a cat after midnight (in this case, after 8 pm), especially when its a baby kitten, but they cannot eat before surgery, just as we humans cannot!  She is a joy to have around, but I must find her a home too.  My cousin just lost her baby yesterday to spreading cancer.  She had her little Monk's leg amputated due to cancer six months ago, and gave him a great life up until now when the cancer spread.  Its heartbraking to put that much care, time, love and finances only to have them go.  I know lots of people who have done this recently - Carole, Pat - they are like children to us and its so hard to say goodbye.  There is such an absence...

As I drove around in the dark this morning, with the help of the moonlit sky, I noticed how sad and dreary these neighborhoods are, even in the dark.  And I thought about how there are a lot of people living in those houses, trying to make the best of their own situations, trying to create their own beauty, do the best for their children, and just try to get by each day.


Lucille on Chamberlain
 
And then I hear the cats crying in the dark, waiting for me to place their food down, and thinking how hopeless it sometimes seems.  I keep telling them, you are next on the rescue list, we just have to get Celia, Bittens and Fraser adopted, and then we can get you in.  Fostering is so important.  I really could use some help.  Spread the word!

Have a great day!

 "A mediocre idea that generates enthusiasm will go
further than a great idea that inspires no one."

3 comments:

  1. I feel it in my (old) bones...some folks are going to step forward and adopt these little beauties. Keep working on Cody's new mom... - carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janine,
    We stopped by lollypop to see the kitties today. Their cat population is very low due to a st.patricks day promo. They may take a few of your street kitties that you feel are ready for homes!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw my first robin today! Spring really is coming!

    Fraser sounds like a doll!

    ReplyDelete