Monday, March 17, 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


It was fairly uneventful this weekend.  A friend of mine, Kristin, has a friend who's daughter is doing a presentation at school in her senior year on homeless animals - I think that is the topic, Lia correct me if I am wrong?  She had to build something for it, she built me two beautiful huts, and she came over on Saturday and did a short interview with me, and went to some of my spots in the inner city and we placed them.   At one of the locations, on Second, a sweet young black male (cat) came crawling out of a plastic tote shelter that is placed there, so Lia was able to see first hand how some of these poor animals live, and thanks to good people who have made and donated these shelters, they have a warm bed to sleep in out there.

There were a lot of towels on Saturday - just never ending, it gets warm, then it gets cold.  When its warm, all that snow has to melt and its melting onto the towels.  I use the towels to place under the food where the cats stand so that they have some measure of comfort on their feet instead of a cold wet hard surface.  So my washer has taken a real beating recently.

So, not only do I feed, shelter and try to find homes for these street kitties in the Beechwood section of Rochester, which is near the public market, in case you didn't know, I also try to get each and every one spayed and neutered.  This has become a problem for me as of late.  I was lucky enough to be part of a spay/neuter grant through Lollipop Farm a few years back, and it allowed me well over 100 cats to be fixed for free.  We also were lucky enough to have a clinic through Habitat for Cats that I was allowed to bring cats in, when I was able to with transportation, luck, etc. for $50 which included all shots, and ear-tipping.  That clinic has since closed.  Then I was lucky enough to be allowed rescue prices when the new clinic on Bay opened up, but they sort of had me under the wing of Another Chance Pet Rescue.  ACPR has since had a change in their structure, and I am no longer able to participate in their pricing.  I have reached out to a few others that might be able to help me with this, but in the meantime, I wait.  I need to get the girl kitten I rescued three weeks ago, Bittens, in for a spaying.  I will be calling HFC to get into their Petsnippers program through County Line Animal Hospital in Ontario, NY - they can help me with this for just over $85 I believe.  I have already had Bittens in for her check up and initial shots, which cost me $70+.  So, you see, a lot of money goes into this if you are not part of a rescue group, or a 501(c)3 (?) not for profit.

Its Monday morning, its bitter cold out - STILL - 10 degrees - and I am sick of it.  I wonder when any of this snow will melt, I wonder when I will see my crocuses and tulips and daffodils and hyacinths, all the early spring flowers, come up in my yard.   I want Spring.

And the balance of the day to ye!!



2 comments:

  1. Good work Janine, what a fine young girl and citizen Lia is, it is a great tribute to the parents of such a child, that she would have such compassion at this young age and choose to bring your work for these alone cats, into the spotlight. This young girl, will make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful girl to choose a project like that!

    ReplyDelete