Wednesday, March 5, 2014

It Ain't Easy

I am not sure what is going on with Bittens.  She was brought to my regular vet just for a weigh-in, and went from 4.08 pounds last Tuesday to 3.5 pounds yesterday.  Now the scales could be a little off, but she is skinny.  Boney.  I placed some tuna and tuna water in a little bowl for her and she did lick the water and a little of the food when I got home last night.  She nibbled a bit this morning.  I am hoping this is something that will go away quickly.  I am thinking it might be worms, and she was treated with half a dose last Tuesday, and according to the low income clinic that gave her that first round, they said it should probably wait until next Tuesday when I give her the second dose.  I did call there last evening, and one of the girls suggested I get some baby food, or blend the tuna to a fine paste with water, or blend dry food with water to a paste, and give it to her in a syringe.  I am hesitating on doing that because I don't want to force feed her, yet.



It just gets harder and harder for me.  I found out today that the discounted pricing I was getting through Another Chance Pet Rescue at the Rochester Community Animal Clinic will now be discontinued.   Another Chance's bookkeeping is being taken over by someone else and I will not be allowed to get their pricing, which I was able to since this past summer.  I will need to enquire at the clinic to see what pricing they will allow me.  If I were a 501c3, it might be different. Though I do not have the money it costs to do that, nor the time. I am all by myself - I am not a group, I am just little old me, doing dozens of rescues each year. Bittens costs me $73 last week for her exam and shots alone.  And I still need to get her spayed.  I do not hold it against Another Chance, they do great things.  I just wish we had a better system.  I save dozens on my own each year.  More than dozens.

Habitat for Cats has allowed me to participate in their Petsnippers program through County Line Animal Hospital, which costs just under $100 for a male neuter - and just over for a female spay - that is with only distemper and rabies shots included. This appointment is made a week or so ahead of time.   My problem is when I get a cat off the street, they need to be seen pretty much immediately so that they can be dewormed, defleaed, and treated for any wounds.   This is where the cost lies.  My own vet, all this would cost me well over $200 total for office visit, meds, and spay/neuter.

The harder this is for vet bills, the harder it is to rescue these cats that are ready and willing.  I will write the girl at the low- income clinic to see if I am still eligible for lower pricing.  Their requirements are if you are a student, or on government assistance.  I am neither.  But not far from the latter let me tell you.

Here are some pictures of my own brood.  My little lovies, who have been with me through thick and thin, who have accepted newcomers into the house with little resistance.  I just love my babies.


Smokey

Buster

Midnight

Daisy

Rufus

Leo

I wish you all a wonderful day!

"Sometimes the blessings are not in what God gives.., but in what he takes away.  Blessings in disguise."


6 comments:

  1. by all means wait for the next dose of worming , I have had more than one cat that has been "off" after a routine vacc. and de-worm over the years, also had one that did not recover after its second dose which I think was too much too soon for it's little body :( , just say'in, you are right to watch and wait, NOT, to alarm you or bring you down xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is good advice. Deworming is hard on the liver so I would wait too. I am just so thankful that Bittens is warm and safe and not going through this cold and alone on the streets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine, we have to find a way to incorporate you so you are eligible for tax deductible contributions. Does anyone out there have experience in writing business plans? - Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS IS A CRITICAL SITUATION - SHE HAS LOST A SUGNIFICENT % OF HER TOTAL BODY WEIGHT AND IN DANGER OF DEVELOPING FATTY LIVER. SHE NEED AN APPITITE STIMULANT AND TRY SOME KMR - CALL OR EMAIL A PLACE CALLED KITTEN KONER AND SEE IF THEY CAN HELP/ADVICE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another scary comment, I too have had cats and kittens die from having so much load put on their bodies all at once. Vaccinations aren't harmless, de-worming is poisonous and flea meds are toxic. Too much even when done one thing at a time.
    I know we can't all be weird, but I no longer routinely have my cats vaccinated, (my vet agrees) I use safer (cheaper, too) treatments for worms and fleas. My reward? I have the oldest cat I've ever had, Harry, who is 18 just this month. And my other 9 cats are all very healthy, half are over 10 yrs old. And my kitties are all indoor kitties.

    Jars of baby meat for Bittens with some broth or water added, or cook up some chicken thighs till they fall apart and give her the broth. She's such a little mite and already she's taken our hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm praying for little Bittens and hope she'll be all right! I agree with Susie about the toxicity of all the things we inject into our and our pet's bodies. I won't give my cats rabies vaccinations unless they're going to have surgery or dental work, then it's required. And I will now request all vaccinations be given on the tail, in case of cancer developing at vaccination site.

    ReplyDelete