Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Battening the Hatches


Here we go again, we just can't get a break.  We are expecting a blizzard today, with winds of 40 mph, and 12-20 inches of snow to be dumped from the sky.  I did my best to secure the shelters, but I am sure they will not endure what is to come.  I hope all those sweet precious homeless cats out there that I do my best to help each and every day will survive this hopefully last storm of the year.  Prayers!
 
I thought I would focus today on Larry.  Tomorrow, I will hopefully have an update on Lenny and Susie, who both went to Scottsville Animal Hospital several weeks ago.  Also, an update on Teddy in his new home, and Fraser, who has yet to be adopted.
 
This is the post when I first introduced Larry, the cat I rescued. If you don't follow it, you will just have to go back and reread the entire blog from the beginning!  :)


June, 2012

JUNE 2012

Meet Larry.  Larry is newly named just this morning.  He is a kitty that deserves to be named.  Well, they all do, but I have trouble thinking up names, and remembering them, I just see so many kitties each day.    Larry hangs around Pennyslvania and Fourth each day now with Sparkles, the girl who was very pregnant that was spayed and neutered, the same day as Laura.  Sparkles runs to greet me each day, despite the shelters I had provided for her, and others, for years, being stolen and trashed recently.  Larry was always waiting in the distance for me to leave after placing the food and water down.  Recently, after being told to move the last shelter by a very mean man who said he owned the property (boarded up house) (which I am having doubt that he does), I've been putting the food on the side of the house on this open porch.  One day, Larry was sitting, just where he is, and let me come near him to place the bowls down.  He slowly came toward me, I let him sniff my finger, and from that day, we've been buddies.  Larry is an older unneutered male, and very very sweet.  You can tell he is a stray that has been on the street far too long.  I would love to find Larry a home.  He is long haired grey with white spots here and there.  He now lets me pet and stroke him.  I could hear him purr this morning.  If you can click on the picture, you can get a more closer view of him.  Sparkles continues to keep her distance with me, but she is a sweet girl nonetheless.

My 'friend' Tamara, the Central Park prostitute was out this morning.  Tamara is not looking good these days, she is missing more teeth, and told me this morning she was recently diagnosed as a diabetic.  She always runs to me for a hug when she sees me, along with "do you have a quarter?"  She begged me for something to drink and I offered her a swig from the water jug I carry.  She gulped it down.  I wish she would get off the streets.  She is going to die there someday.

I have not heard from my cop friend, nor have I stopped at the crazy "Lucy's" house since Saturday.  I am very disappointed, not in my friend, or anyone, I know its a tough situation, even for the police, who I believe most are uneducated about animal issues.  Nor do they have the laws on their side (the animals).  I even offered to take this kitten.  But I have to let it go for now.  Its very upsetting to learn of a situation, and not have any control over it.  If I had my way, I would have continued to go 'under cover' and befriend her, and try to get the cat from her.  But not knowing what the situation is since Saturday, I can't take that chance with my safety.  She is dangerous.

I also ran into my other crazy 'friend' Marilee.  She was snooping around the house on Ferndale and Webster at 6 am. when I was on my way home.  She is definitely certifiable.  You have to feel bad for some of these people, they are fighting their demons in one way or another, and don't understand reality.  I dont' know how they live amongst society.  I should have paid more attention in my psychology class in college.

One final note.  Limpy, who has been seen for a few weeks now on and off, was not around this morning.  I am a bit worried about this because I found someone who is willing to help me trap Limpy.  She even has a drop trap, which is supposed to be a better way to catch these guys.  I am worried that Limpy will not be around tomorrow.  I always feel guilt when someone tries to help me with things like this, and there is no success.  I put very little food down, per her instructions, at both locations - the other just around the corner, where some of the cats at this spot go back and forth to.  So, wish us luck in the morning.  Maybe we can get some help for Limpy!

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."



March 2014

Larry Today:  Happy as a clam in his warm, clean home with my niece and her girls.  He has been through a lot, from the streets, to being fostered by Nancy after I got him cleaned up, to living in very dirty conditions in Wally's house for well over a year.  He is now safe and sound!


 
Have a GREAT day!!!


4 comments:

  1. My precious boy. I love him to death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting that update on Larry, Janine You know he's always had a special place in my heart. All those nights Larry & I sat on the deck just enjoying the peaceful quiet were very special. He's a real gem who deserved a better life than on the street or with Wally. Thank you Janine's niece. You've made better one little kitty's life, as well as enhanced your children's and you life by knowing and loving him. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Larry! I'm so glad he's in a home where he's loved and pampered. He deserves it. And he's obviously being spoiled as I see he has his very own cardboard box! LOL! What cat can resist that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are moving in a couple weeks and he feels the need to investigate each box to make sure it's up to par for the move. Harry Larry is a goof. This morning he decided he wasn't close enough to me so at 430 I woke up to him sleeping on my face!!! Love you auntie you are for sure my hero. Thank you for finding such an amazing fit for the girls and I. Love you.

    ReplyDelete