Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Wow, what a week! 

I was travelling to Newark this morning, at the speed limit - and drove past two cats.  The first was on Centennary Road and Old Ridge.  Of course the first thing I did was come to a screeching halt (well, maybe not screeching...), got out and walked over the woods and placed a bowl of food down.  Black and white fat cat.  I then saw another on Fairville-Maple Ridge - walking along the road.  Black and white skinny cat.  I told myself 'that cat must belong to someone' as there were houses around, but good Lord.  I hate to see an outdoor cat. 


I spoke to my dog Thunder's vet yesterday.  My 10 year old boy was scanned last Friday and diagnosed as having 'transitional cells carcinoma' - cancer of the bladder, and the doc talked of an option of medicine called peroxicam to slow the tumor, but he would also have to have a preventative ulcer medicine with it, each costing $120 and $180, respectively, per month.  I wish I could afford that, but I cannot.  So I will make my boy's last days the happiest for him that I can!  I need to ask the doc if I can double his food intake.  That would make him VERY happy!  :)

I released two kitties this morning after they spent the night at 'the Inn'.  My porch.  One was a pregnant female from Central, and the other a boy from Third.  Both were miserable in their cramped quarters, but they did eat and drink I think.   I always place food and water in the carriers when they are back from their surgeries, some eat right away, some don't.


This morning was another success, five cats were trapped.  One or two may have already been done in the past, no tipped ears, but they will be brought in regardless for vaccinations.  I set a trap on Garson, while Big Red, Talkie and Lucille hovered around me, set out on my route, came back 30 minutes later and no such luck.  Those three are smart.  I have NEVER been able to get Big Red for all the times I set traps on Hayward, where we originally 'met.'  :)  I will try again next week.  There are already two neutered cats there, one as sweet as can be, the other elusive.  This brings the total to...  31 cats done so far?  Pretty good if I do say so myself!

I also want to say - in case anyone misinterprets any of my posts from the past - that I have dealt with a few groups in the past, and I am very impressed with Another Chance Pet Rescue, the group I have been the closest to.  I have seen the good work that they do.  They have rescued more cats from the Rochester Animal KILL shelter that were just about to be put to sleep than I think any other group in Rochester has done.  Their adoption events every single Saturday and Wednesday at Petco are very successful.  They probably have adopted out hundreds of kitties - I would actually be interested in their statistics.  All in all, they have helped me a ton in the past and I am grateful to them.  We, as individuals and as groups, don't all have to get along - we just have to come together to help the animals.   I value each and every opinion and comment people make on my blog, and I continue to be grateful to you for even reading it all!  :)

My own photos coming soon! 


8 comments:

  1. Another Chance Pet Rescue's website states they have adopted out 2182 cats and 585 dogs since 2007. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually that's not even up to date. But I will get the figures updated soon! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it might be in the thousands... and doggies too, WOWWOWOWOWOWOW! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we have saved more than 3000 cats and dogs have to update it. And that is with a very small group of dedicated volunteers as you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very impressive.

    And dedicated they are, to give up their free time to sit for hours to meet potential adoptees. I am amazed everytime I go in and witness the volunteers. Truly awesome people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potential adopters! thats what I meant! :O) The kitties are the adoptees, right? :) I should know that from the 10 years as a legal assistant!

      Delete
  6. 31 cats..."pretty good"...Ummmm....that's GREAT! So many lives saved, so many lives spared. You are amazing. People who rescue, trap, feed, care...are amazing. Let all that good you have done soak into your soul.

    What a lucky boy your Thunder is to have you has his mama. I'm so sorry you're going through so many difficult situations at home. It's heartbreaking...I know, I've been there. You have friends you can count on to vent, cry, tell cute stories....whatever it is you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! PEACE to you Sweetheart! XO!~

      Delete