Thursday, May 3, 2012

Communication is Key

Today was the second day of the TNR clinic through Lollipop.  Three kitties were trapped from behind Wally's house on Grand.  I wound up setting traps on Second again in hopes that we could get the very pregnant girl I spotted yesterday morning.  As its so light out now, I am finally able to see these babies in the light, and this girl is quite pregnant.  After returning back there four times, there still were no cats in the trap.  I found out later that there was food left in the bowls from when I fed yesterday, which may have played a role in the kitties not falling for the tuna, but there is more to that.  My normal raccoons at that spot must have gone south for the day, because usually they eat what I place down within the hour - so there is never remaining food in the morning.  Also, you can over trap an area.  Cats are smart creatures, and I've tried at this location before, and they see a cat struggling the morning before and are very leary.  So, unfortunately, we were only able to bring three cats in today, which is a shame.  We could have gone to other areas, indeed, if only...  I say 'if only' because communication is critical to ensure the harmony of the people involved in this undertaking, and the harmony of the whole operation.  When you have lack of communication, you miss out on ideas and opportunities and suggestions for areas of improvement that could have been had.    Thats all I will say on this subject.  Except that I am once again too grateful for words to those who are involved in helping me. 

Yesterday morning, on my route, I spotted a dog running down Central Park.  A pretty brown with black, very thin.  I called for him, he stopped and watched me while I placed a bowl of food down for him, trying to gain his trust.  I did my usual, and called 911, knowing I wouldn't get any where with them, as there is lack of animal control officers, on top of it being only 6 am. and they don't start their shifts until 7 am.  I had to leave to get ready for work, so I said a little prayer that this dog would find its way back home.  Well, as I was finishing my route this morning, I spotted the dog a mile away from there, on Ferndale and Webster.  I placed food down again, and he ran off.  I dialed 911 once again and reported it.  Its so sad.  Have the owners even bothered to look for this dog?  It seems so skittish that most likely it doesn't have a home.  It was probably beaten or something and ran away.  24 hours later and that dog is still running loose and scared.  I hate people that abuse animals, and don't go out of their way to help one, and I am frustrated with the authorities in this city who can't do anything about this.



On a happier note, here is a couple of pictures of Taffy's babies.  Taffy is one of the first of the pregnant cats I rescued the past two months.  Linda has been caring for them.  Thank you Linda!  Aren't they darling!

6 comments:

  1. Three more kitten-makers out of business! Great job everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please let people know that Taffy's kittens will be up for adoption at Pet Pride as of 5/15/12. 7731 Victor-Mendon Rd. 742-1630

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three is great Janine - better than 0!! You guys are doing a GREAT job. And those kittens are adorable. I love that last pix of the little guy looking at the camera. Nancy C

    ReplyDelete
  4. That little one looking at the camera is the only girl of 3 boys of the litter...and I will tell you what...she will get those boys going like no one's business...she is the first one to get them all worked up when they are sleeping or naping...she's the first one who tries all the "adventurist firsts" and the boys just follow and learned from her...although... the 2 matching tigers chowed some wet food tonight for the first time...but she didn't even care cuz she was too busy exploring...Litter training is on tap for the weekend! These are some awesome lovable well socialized kittens and anyone who adopts the will have a best friend lap cat for life!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taffy's a gorgeous girl and so are her babies! I think 3 is a great number especially considering how hard it is to trap them. Sounds like you've learned a lot and can apply that knowledge to the next round up. You're all my heroes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where I do love love love kittens, I love hearing about cats that won't be having any kittens even more! 3 cats is great! I know you'd have loved it to be more but still, 3 is nothing to sneeze at! Yay!

    ReplyDelete