Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Knock Knock Knockin on Heaven's Door...

Bob Dylan tune...  its a good one ...  Its also appros pos for my post today.

Thank you to those who left comments on the the Biffer, the cat my mother adopted after I rescued him a few winters ago.  Such sweet sentiments to to hear, they made me cry.  Its so hard to lose these little furry creatures.... 

Speaking of, when I got home on Friday, as I had been hoping each day the past two weeks , that Cosmo would somehow have snapped out of whatever has been ailing him, he didn't.  I could see he was just sicker and sicker, not eating or drinking, eyes sunken, bones poking through his once very fat and tubby little body.  It tore my heart, and I said there and then, well buddy, its that time.  I called my vet, 15 minutes before they closed for a holiday weekend, and they confirmed my fear, they wouldn't be open until Tuesday.  I hung up sobbing.  I thought, well, I have got to find a vet that is open tomorrow morning and do it.  So I got the numbers of a couple of places, and then it hit me.  Janine, why are you desperately trying to find a place, ANY place, to end Cosmo's life?  I thought, I will keep trying to feed him whatever he might eat, and will continue to try to get him to drink water, even if I have to do it through a dropper.  It really relaxed me from that point.  I thought, why take this cat to a 'stranger' vet, where not only do they not know HIM, but I would be crying in front of total strangers, and on both levels, I did not want that.  So, today is the day, at 4:20 p.m.  Its going to be heartbreaking, as it was just typing that sentence. 



Onto better news.  Guess what!  Little Mikey???  (not a good picture of him, I only had  this one from when I rescued him - this was just before I brought him into HFC clinic for neutering) He has a new home now!  My mother adopted him!!!  :)  She came over Saturday and said, OK, which one is going to be Gracie's sibling now?  My mom is awesome.  She let me pick just the right fit for her and Gracie from the few I have available for adoption, and Mikey was the obvious choice.  A male, and very laid back.  So Sunday morning, I brought Mikey over and after some observation, I said my goodbyes, and off I went, leaving Mikey to adjust to his new home, and sister, and Mommy.  The latest update, Mikey loves his new home, and is as happy as can be as a new Webster resident.  I am so glad.  There are so many out there I want to get off the street as soon as possible and into good homes. 

There is the very sweet girl on Garson that we had spayed, and there is the sweet little shy boy on Hayward, that to be honest, I have to rescue a cat I've seen past few days totally limping.  He cannot place any weight on his left back leg.  He must be in pain, and I must do something.  Of course, I have no money to pay for his surgery.  I wish I knew someone wealthy that could just hand me a few thousand dollars to have the leg looked at, have whatever surgery is needed, and allow the cat to heal somewhere, but its not happening, and I will have to do the most humane thing possible for the cat.  Its suffering.  Does anyone have a better suggestion?

6 comments:

  1. Oh no, poor Cosmo! I'll be thinking of and praying for you both at 4:20. I hope you have someone to go with you so you're not by yourself. Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will also be thinking of you & Cosmo today, Janine, and will say a prayer at 4:20. Arms will be around you.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so strong, Janine! Peace to Cosmo...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, there are no words at times like this to bring you any comfort but knowing there are people who understand what you're feeling, I hope does help you in some small way. You did the right thing by your sweet Cosmo. You gave him love, care & compassion in life, why wouldn't you do the same at his end. I know you whispered in his ear how much he is loved as he left this earth. Love & peace to Cosmo. Shedding tears for you both...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, now that I've somewhat composed myself, I wanted to wish Mikey a wonderful new life. And to say thank you to your mama for opening her home & heart for another deserving kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. limping cat is probably an un-neutered male, who's gotten a bite wound... as long as the foot/leg isn't at an unnatural angle. probably could use antibiotics, not surgery. Might clear up on its own, it's probably abscessed, and swollen, and then it will drain, and it won't be so painful. Watch and see if it doesn't improve in a few days!

    ReplyDelete