Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Gimme Shelter



Love that song by the Rolling Stones...  Mick Jagger...  Yowsa...

This week has been so busy, and its only Tuesday.  SO much has happened in the past two days, I don't know where to begin. 

The good thing about yesterday is that I did manage to trap a cat on Central and Third that was brought to Lollipop for neutering.  A boy.  That makes 9 total that have been TNR'd through the grant with Lollipop.  Its very rewarding to know that I making a small dent in the area I feed in on a daily basis.   But its very small.

This morning, with the help of a friend, I was able to trap four more kitties.  One very pregnant.  So that will be a total of 13 kitties.  Wonderful.  There is a very pregnant kitty on Seventh that really needs attention and I hope that she will be included in the trapping that is done tomorrow, the final day this week that we have slots for at Lollipop. 

On Monday I received a call from the man that owns the property where I have had a shelter for over a year on his dilapidated gutted house on Garson.  Here is where Lillianna was rescued and gave birth the very same day, and where I have fed Talkie and Big Red and several others for a very long time now.  The man told me to come and get my stuff out of there before he threw it away.  Apparently he was fined by the city inspector for violating many codes, including one of the feeding animals on his property?  I don't get that one, but it is what it is.  I drove there on my lunch hour and had to cram everything, totes, boards, towels, bowls, etc. into my back seat.  Did that stop me from going there the next morning and placing bowls of food and water down under a tree?  No.  And I did it again this morning, and I wound up driving back that way on my way home, and the bowls were gone.  I stopped, and looked into the houses around, muttered a few things as if they were watching me, got new bowls and filled with water and food and place in an open lot across the street.  No one is going to stop me from feeding these poor animals.  I must find a solution.  These people could care less to allow an animal to starve.

Finally, because this is getting lengthy, as I drove back last night to release the male cat, I went past the house on Ferndale and Webster, where I have been dealing with a crazy person for a long long time now whom I have never met, he/she had been taking my carriers used for shelter, putting them back, trashing a door used as shelter, moving straw around, my blankets, etc. - I finally met HER.  I noticed a woman near the house as I was driving towards it to turn down the street.   I stopped.  I questioned her.  I noticed right away she was off her rocker.  But a nice woman way way deep down.    I don't know how to describe the conversation with her, it was very very odd, but her name is Marilee, a softspoken, demure woman in her 50s I would say, and she has been putting food down for the cats.  I did ask her not do it this week as we were trying to trap neuter return, which she vehemently was very opposed to.  She kept saying it was sodomy to the cats.  At one point, I asked her if she knew the definition of the word.  Meaning a sexual act, but she just wouldn't listen to me.  Its not like we were 'fighting', but she just didn't understand the importance of having cats spayed and neutered.  She was talking about the war, and all sorts of really crazy things, and finally, after ten minutes of this, I thanked her for being caring for the animals and told her I would see her around.  Told her how nice it was to finally meet her.  :)  I drove off thinking she was going to continue to place food there, even with me asking her not to.  By the way, the little kitten was back.  She had her babies somewhere.  She was rolling around on the ground, but my heart sunk.  The woman even confirmed that she had been pregnant.  I pray she gets trapped tomorrow also.  Prayers for all of them!

1 comment: