Monday, May 14, 2012

Weekend Observations

I posted Saturday morning, just in case anyone was interested.  Thank you Nancy for your thoughtful comment about my boy Thunder.  There is a special bond we all have with our animals, each and every one of them, and it will be a very sad day when the day comes, and it will, but not for now.   He still loves to run, jump, play, go after 'miss piggy' when I throw one of this toys across the room, he is so big that he sounds like actual thunder during a storm!  Especially when he is running around upstairs above me.


I am sure you all remember little (Prince) Harry.  I rescued Harry from Short Street when I saw the little guy hungry and limping.  He was very skinny, and had a limp and didn't grab him the first day, but thank God he was at this spot the next, and I scooped him up.  He was immediately friendly, and hungry as I brought him home and made a little nest for him in my tiny bathroom.  I had recently become friends with the head of Four Legged Friends, a wonderful rescue group, and they offered to take Harry into their foster system if I could care for him after his neutering and x-rays of his fracture.  I did, he became instant buddies with the others in the house.  He was ready to go to a new home when after another check up and x-ray, it was discovered that his hip was completed detached and will undergo surgery next Monday for femoral head removal, whatever that is.  Four Legged Friends is hoping to raise $800 for Harry's surgery, so what I am asking is that if anyone can spare $10 or $20 or whatever they can afford to my "Chip In", I will donate this to his surgery.  Please note that what you see I've raised, I've spent the in my Chip In over a month ago, and I appreciate those that donated so much, words cannot properly convey.  I can't begin anew until the goal is reached (really $80).  You can also go directly to their website to donate at  http://www.4-leggedfriends.net/.  This wonderful rescue group needs it.  I have asked the head of the group to please let me know any more details she can on the surgery.  Thank you ahead of time for your thoughtful donations.  If it weren't for this group, Harry wouldn't be with us if it depended on my financial resources. 

As I mentioned in Saturday's post, about the homeless man sleeping on a porch that I feed at, I said I was going to bring a sandwich to him and leave on Sunday, Mothers Day, if he were there.  Well, I made two bologna sandwiches before I left the house, placed in a bag with a bottle of water, and sure enough, the man was there.  After trying to say hello to him, and seeing he was obviously sleeping under the blanket I had left for him days earlier, I set the bag down beside him and left.  But just before I left, I studied this man for a brief second, and noticed he had grey hair.  I felt so bad for him, wondering what his life was like, what he would do and where he would go after the morning wore on.  He was there again this morning, completely covered under the blanket, and when I said hello, he spoke back, but wouldn't remove the blanket covering his head.  I asked him if he was ok, and he replied yes.  I told him I was just feeding the kitties, he replied back OK.   I can't imagine the emotions that one must feel to be in this situation.  I will be bringing him another sandwich tomorrow, with a bottle of water.  I wish I could do more.

At each of my spots, I see now in the daylight that some are neutered and ear-tipped, and some are not.  The women from Another Chance Pet Rescue will resume trapping tomorrow morning, and I am hoping we will collaborate at some point as I see there are still more to be neutered.  Some I have never seen again since this began, and I am very sad about that.    I had to leave two locations without food this morning, and it breaks my heart to do this as I know both spots have raccoons that most likely eat the food there after I lay it down, and the cats go the rest of the day hungry.  I had to chase another raccoon at my first stop WAY up a tree, but I know he came down immediately after and ate the food of four hungry cats, that I could see.   Now they go two days without food or water.  But, I keep telling myself, all for a good cause.

"I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow,
but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing"

1 comment: