Thursday, May 12, 2011

Two-er




I met a really great girl in Colorado a few weekends ago, she has a cat named Two'er. She named the cat that because it was her second cat - the first one, I guess One'er? got eaten by a coyote. She lives out in the wilderness - actually Colorado is pretty flat until you get to the foothills and then the mountains, and she in on the flat part, in a rather remote area, so they do get a lot of coyotes out there. Pretty sad when you think about it. There are a lot of people in this world who believe that cats are OK being outdoor cats. Aside from the obvious dangers of cars, toxic plants, dogs, coyotes, fleas and cruel people, there are many hidden dangers to cats allowed outdoors. There are so many benefits to keeping your cat indoors. Indoor cats are no lazier or less happy. Provide a window perch for them, put out a bird feeder for entertainment. There are so many toys available for cats now, even a stick with a string or with something fun on the end. A paper grocery bag will provide hours of entertainment for your kitty. A scratching post of some kind is a necessity. An indoor/outdoor cat can easily be made a totally indoor cat with perseverance on your part. They may resent their confinement for a short time, but they will adjust.


On another note (but slightly same topic!), this morning's route was again a hard one. I saw one very pregnant cat, and at the same location is Teddy, who is still very ill. He sits and waits for me now each morning. I looked at his ears and they are a mess. He needs to be seen by a vet, but is also highly adoptable, so must find a foster for him so we can get him adopted. I would give my last cent to spend on him, but I have no room for him. I am hoping someone out there can volunteer!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Janine! Being out in the "wilderness" does have it's ups and downs. It's raining in the forest and in the flat lands today. Twoer thanks you and Oner says thanks for sharing how scary it really is out there! Miss you Oner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't imagine keeping my little boy indoors; and he is the happiest tagging along with me doing garden chores. And he loves to show off his climbing prowess to me high up in the Maple trees.
    But we do make sure that both our kitties are within our sights and come back indoors with us when done, and definitely after dusk.
    I guess one has to be a conscientious owner and weigh the available options and risks involved. We live very rural and high up in the Mountains on a dirt road. I'd be more afraid of traffic accidents if we lived down in a village on a major road.

    ReplyDelete