Sunday, May 22, 2011

Second Chances (?)

I have just about seen everything, and done maybe half. I believe in second chances for people in life, as we have all made mistakes, and I certainly have, and I thank God for second chances from my family and friends, and God. Animals are in the same league as far as I am concerned, although they are complete innocents and are born into circumstances that they have no control over. Barney was adopted last week by someone that I had a hard time connecting with for four days, and this worried me sick. Personally, when I rescue a cat, I want to be sure they are living in a safe environment, and are free from harm. Such was the case with Barney. I began to worry myself sick after not hearing from the person who adopted him. I drove over to the house this morning just to 'check out the house' and make sure it was 'normal looking.' I could not understand why this person would not return my daily call to call me so that I could just know how Barney was doing. It was very early when I went over this morning, it was just after my cat rounds which began at their normal time of 5 am. Barneys new 'companion's' neighbor was out with her dog, and she made it clear she did not like her neighbor, and told me that this person had committed a crime that is a reportable crime to the neighborhood when people like this move to their area. I had to brush this fact aside, and tell myself that just because someone like this does something that bad, it doesn't mean they will hurt an animal. I HAD to tell myself this, after all, my Barney was adopted legally, and there was nothing I could do. The more I thought about this, the more I said to myself, I must get over this and trust this person will be kind, and has been kind to my little Barney. Without making this a novel, this person did call me after my fourth call to him, I did go over, and I did make sure Barney was OK. I have never felt this bad about a situation in my life, but this person did seem to have an affection for Barney, and for someone like this, an outcast to society, he really needed the companionship. I will continue to monitor the situation as best as I can, for Barney's sake. I hope this made sense, but I just want to get the point across that we all deserve a second chance. Some more than others. I pray for my Barney, if I could take him back I would in a second. Even if I had NOT known about this person's crime, I would take him back just due to the fact that this person is a chain smoker with a somewhat closed up dark house. But legally I can't. I just have to pray he is OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment