Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Ruby Tuesday



Song by the Stones... love my Stones... its another wet day out there, just a few towels to change over. I have not seen Smokey #1 in a long time, but guess who's back! Blackie! He was soaking wet this morning. You wonder sometimes if these guys know enough to get out of the rain. There are plenty of spaces to hide under, I am sure. I had not seen Blackie around in a very long time. In fact, when I rescued Dexter, it had been months since I had seen Blackie (pictured here). I almost mistook Dexter for Blackie, but Dexter had too much white in him. Smokey has survived many winters and I am not sure what has happened to him, but I hope he is safe, or at least out of whatever pain he may have been in. He surprises me though and often shows up after not seeing him for a bit. I mentioned yesterday that on Second Street, there are fewer cats showing up in the morning. I was thinking it would be nice to be thanked for the efforts that have been made in trying to reduce the population there. Buttons was rescued from there, two newborn kittens were rescued from the igloo behind Paul's house that I provided, as well as a few Trap Neuter Returns done (TNR). It is so worthwhile to me to be able to reduce the population and help end the suffering of some very sick kitties. Who needs thanks? What I need to do is to figure out a way to teach these people about keeping the population down themselves! I can't keep coming in and trying to fix their neighborhoods, their problems. I think this summer, when more folks are outdoors, I need to devote some time to be seen and heard by some of these people. I am sure there are decent people that will listen to what I have to say, I can only try. They just need an education on spaying and neutering. If everyone did this, we wouldn't have problems like we have now.

3 comments:

  1. YEAH BLACKIE!!! YOUR ALIVE!!! MAYBE ILL TALK TO CHRIS AND SEE IF WE CAN FOSTER HIM UNTIL HE CAN HAVE A GOOD HOME!! JUST FOSTERING THOUGH!! LOVE YOU
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might try writing up a hand out about what you have done and are trying to do (without it sounding like your lecturing people or scolding them as you don't want to turn them off)Ask for their help in TNR and maybe even offer them bags of food each week (bet they can't afford to buy it). I think you might find them willing to help if they know how.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Idea about the handout. Something to think about. Will have to word it JUST right. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete