Thursday, January 9, 2014

Tick Tock


 
I have gotten up at 4 am. EVERY SINGLE MORNING for the past AT LEAST EIGHT YEARS of my life and headed out to the inner city to feed feral and stray (homeless) cats at 16 different locations, that has taken me over an hour each day - that is 2,920 days - which is 70,080 hours of my life - in the past eight years - and Lord knows I've done this way before then but on a much smaller scale.  Now, give and take maybe three weeks total out of that - a trip or two to Australia, and a couple of work trips, and a trip or two for Thanksgiving to Massachusetts to be with family, or a trip or two to Colorado and Alaska in between - over the course of EIGHT years. Now, sure, those were good "vacations', for sure, and I did have some help by friends to go feed, whether they split up the route or did them all, or I would have never been able to do that, knowing I would be leaving the cats to starve while I was gone.  Granted, every single day I wasn't there to do it myself, I still woke at 3 or 4 am., thinking about them.  Even in different time zones.  My body is always on THEIR clock.

I do it because I sometimes feel like I am making a difference to the lives of these cats.  I don't think I am doing much to save the ones that will be left on the street, reproducing like rabbits, the ones I can't get. There will never be an end to homeless and feral cats.  I remind myself of that occasionally, and many others do it for me, but thankfully not too often.  I am a dreamer, thinking something will come along to change the statistics one day.  I prefer it that way too.  If I lived my life realistically, then life wouldn't be very much fun. My point in all this originally was that by the 14th stop each morning, on Central, I am so exhausted, and I think to myself, 'I am almost done, one more stop - but then I have to do it all over again tomorrow.'  Its really hard by this time to be movitivated, but somehow, I do it all over again, and again, and again.  I told my mother today that I was tired.  That I just wanted to spend an entire day in bed.  She agreed, and told me to do just that.  Take a 'mental health' day from work.  I think I will do just that.


I got home from work yesterday and bundled up my little rodent ulcer kitty Sargent, that was rescued  just a week ago, readying him for his new foster home.  A sweet woman named Gail offered to foster him.  I brought him over, met Gail, we brought Sargent into her spare room, and let him loose.  What a LOVE!  Gail has a small dog, sweeter than sweet, little Gracie, and we were both a little hesitant on how that would work, but she promised to introduce them slowly.  After a bit of talk, and cuddles, Gail brought out a squiggly worm infused with catnip and Sargent went CARAZY!  So much so, that it seemed to inflame his upper lip.  So we took it away for a bit.  He sure does love catnip!  :)  When I was ready to leave, Gail went back into the room for something and Sargent bolted out, came face to face with Gracie, and nothing.  He just kept on looking around, exploring.  I think it will be an easy fit for the two of them!  God willing!

I have not yet heard from Gordie's dad Tony yet, as to whether or not he will keep him.  My niece is having a lot of fun with Larry, the kitty she is fostering for me for now.  I can't wait to hear the update on Mr. Fluffypants Sargent.

This morning was quiet, and much easier for me - more cats were out, and waiting, and hungry.  Its a balmy twenty something degrees, and its expected to get into the 50s by the weekend, including good old rain.  Yuck.

I wish you a wonderful day!

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men.  No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

3 comments:

  1. Agreed, I think we all need a "mental health day" in this business!! Take care of yourself so your mission can continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janine,
    What you cited above is just why I dubbed you the Cat Angel. If it weren"t for your daily heroic sacrifices over the past 15 years their would be thousands of more cats doomed to the horrific and devestating lives these homeless and abandoned felines are thrust into due to no fault of their own. I've served in the US MARINE CORPS during Vietnam and have been a Police Officer for 33 years and in my eyes you are the epitomy of a true unsung Hero. You inspire me more than anyone I have ever met and I promise Karon and I will continue to support you and your quest to save Rochesters Homeless Cats. I salute and thank you for all the daily sacrifices you make in rescuing, feeding and sheltering our Homeless and abandoned Cats. Walt Simoni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walt said it very well above - you are an extraordinary person to do what you do. I admire you as well. And stop thinking for a minute that you aren't making change. There may always be stray and feral cats, but because of what you do there are fewer than there would be and the ones out there have some small measure of comfort - that's all we can hope for! I also promise to help you when and how I can! Wendy B

    ReplyDelete