Thursday, January 30, 2014

Calvin & NOW LENNY!!

WEDNESDAY P.M. 
CALVIN - the red fluffy brother of the other kitty I rescued last Sunday (FRASER) is negative for feline leukemia!  Yeah! GREAT news.    I found out the odor he had was from the infections, and also that part of his tail will have to be amputated its so bad.  He is coming home with a collar to stop him from getting at it.  The infection is down to his bone.  Terrible smell.  Poor boy.  Next will be his neutering.  This is crazy business what I do.  I swear.  He has turned into the most sweetest lovingest cat ever.  He head butts you while sitting on your lap getting scratches.  He really is a mess, but once cleaned up will be a most gorgeous, attention loving kitty.  Today's visit cost me $130.  Friday, he gets neutered, and has about two inches from his tip of tail amputated.  That will cost another $100+.  This has been an expensive month for me.


""Hey!  C'mon!  That flash in my eyes is a killer!"


THURSDAY A.M.
LENNY:  Oh Lord, I did it again.  I rescued another kitty from Central.  Here is Lenny, the black and white kitty that is unneutered, smells like the underside of a car, but is a lover boy through and through.  He has been living outdoors this entire winter.  He runs to me every single morning, and cries.  He was a good boy the second I took him out oft he carrier when I got home, until I packed him up before leaving for work for his journey to friend Donna's house - actually her shed, which is filled with straw and comfy stuff for him.  A better place than where he has been, for sure.  So this means another vet appointment.

For those that don't know exactly what I do, I leave my house at 5 am. every single day and drive about five minutes into the hood.  It takes me over an hour, I make 15 stops normally.  I get out of  my car, I walk a bit, I change a wet or snow covered towel, and replace a new one, I pour food and water down, I pet a cat here and there, and move on to the next one.  They are streets from each other, and sometimes just blocks from each other.  You can't really just move cats to another location.  they are very territorial, and its very upsetting to them.  They are stressed enough.  At the 6th street shelter I had to move from the garage to the back of a house just behind, I still haven't seen most of the cats that used to take shelter in the warm wooden huts I had provided for them.  It was a very upsetting move for some of them.  I was overjoyed to see one come out though this morning.  I knew he was warm inside.  The others?  Who knows...  It makes me angry when a homeowner makes me move my things, or trashes them.  Its barbaric to do to an animal in this kind of weather especially.  Any way, I use close to 18 pounds of dry food a day, and a case of wet food.  Thats twenty five of the normal sized cans.  Its a very expensive passion - to try to save these animals, one at a time, but every day, try to make their lives a little better, with regular feedings, and shelter.  I hope I can do this forever.  But I know my body won't allow that.  Our bodies last only so long. I hope by that time though that I will have rescued as many as I can, and that the over population of these homeless cats will be much less by then.  So, keep me in your prayers, and spread the word about these cats, and how much homes are needed for each of them.






Remember, we now have Calvin and Fraser, Larry and Teddy (Sargent), and Lenny.  They need homes desperately.  Spread the word!!!

"If you do a good deed for other people, you end up healing yourself too.  Because a dose of love is the best spiritual cure."

1 comment:

  1. Janine,
    Excellent job as usual. I believe your latest rescue from Central was watching you, Sheryl, Karon and me as we were retrieving your provided shelters for him and his associates from the Metallico dupster. Thank you for all you do for the kitties daily and hopefully you get some much needed monetary assistance so you can continue your worthy mission. Thank you Janine.
    Walt Simoni

    ReplyDelete