Friday, January 10, 2014

It Don't Come Easy...

You know it don't come easy!..... Ringo......

I pulled up to the Sixth Street shelter, where I have two wooden huts, two totes, tarp covering all, with bricks, and a flier with my name, intentions and number, and all were disassembled and put to the curb.  I was saddened and angry.  Whoever this person is has no heart.  And yes, I call these people evil because they know they are displacing shelter for an animal trying to get out of the harsh winter weather, and its just pure evil.  I looked around to see if perhaps the owner of this boarded up house with the open dilapidated garage had come to check on his pipes being frozen, but I saw no footsteps in the snow leading up to the house.  It was just evil doing.  Especially where there is a number he could call to ask me to remove my stuff.  There is no NO TRESPASSING sign either.  I replaced everything but the tarp, which the man must have taken.  I will bring another tomorrow, thanks to a few of you that have donated tarps to me!  I was discouraged driving away, but determination has taken over.

Larry Larry Larry.  Look at this sweet boy.  My niece called in hysterics yesterday saying there were "bugs" coming out of the poor boy's back end.  Needless to say, Larry has a vet appointment this morning to be treated, most likely for tapeworm.  Yuck.  The poor animal, living in the conditions he was living in with Wally - another reason I am upset with Wally - he should have noticed something like this happening with Larry. 

Larry

Larry
I rescued Larry several years ago from Pennsylvania and Fourth, where I still keep shelters and feed over six cats.  I've rescued many others from this spot, but Larry stands out because his was an urgent rescue due to a bleeding ear.  Turned out to be a hematoma that needed suturing, and the result is the floppy, cauliflower looking ear that you see here.  My friend Nancy, who has taken in countless others off the street for me and given them a fine home in hers, took Larry in but needed to get him moved after Wally, the older black, half-blind gentleman offered to take him.  I was hesitant, as Wally's apartment is quite 'disorganized' but I realized that he is better off there than back on the street.  Wally took good care of him, but last week left him alone in his apartment for close to a week, not informing me about it, and I decided right then and there that Larry deserved better.  I haven't heard from Wally since.  I've done so much for this man, I am so disappointed in him.  I give everyone second chances, and will most likely do it again for him, but he has really disappointed me.  So Larry is with my niece for now, and is in need of a forever home.  Just the sweetest, most gentlest kitty ever.

Another gal Robyn reached out to me yesterday after reading the post about Harold, and thank you ALL for your comments about your own stories.  I appreciated them so much.  Robyn pointed out her own troubles after she adopted a kitten that I rescued named Butters.  She has since named him Thurston, and here are his before and after pictures, and what she had to say about him now:

Butters before being adopted

Butters/Thurston w/his siblings after adoption!
Robyn says:  "Time is ALL it takes to bring one of these precious angels into a warm and loving home - they are so APPRECIATIVE after they know they can TRUST humans again!!!!!!Loved the Harold story!

These angels know they can trust you each morning, but when taken off the street to better their life ...that is SO scary...to them - it was all they knew.....It does take time!
Remeber us, adopting Butters (now called Thurston) He was not gonna cut it here with how Lovey HATED him! ...and I gave it 24-48 hrs.... I wanted you to take Butters/Thurston back or I would find him another home.....we agreed and committed to...they will figure it out...and they DID!) we stopped fretting and said let them have their hissy and tizzy-fits...humans stay out of it - it settles so much faster - if we stay out of it......OH, MY GOD! HE IS THE BEST-EST CAT WE HAVE EVER, EVER HAD....Did I say, EVER....Yep, I DID!!!!!!!!!
Attached - some picks of that "CITY KITTY" We thought of giving up on....... would have been a HUGE mistake!!!!!!!!
The Mountain is what we call Justin's bed...
The Tree is the Cat tree - the largest piece of furniture in our house - for the cats - of course!

Will send more pics when I re-charge my camera!!!! He is such a love-bug...and just loves the newest refugee kitten adopted as well!!!!! He is so AWESOME!!! I know it is your human consistant contact daily that makes them adjust and trust eventually.... you also had Butters in your personal fold for a while - but YOU set the stage for human trust in their future!

Thank you for all you do, Janine!!!"


That's it for today.  Its Friday, hurray, thank God, I get to get up and do it all over again tomorrow.  HA.    Have a wonderful, and safe weekend.


"The fastest thing on earth is prayer because it reaches God before you even speak the words."

3 comments:

  1. Oh Janine - thank you for posting those pixs of Larry. He truely is a lover; thank your niece for taking him in. He does deserve a loving permanent home....no more Wally. I love that face of Larry's with his lopsided ear. Anyone would be lucky to take him in. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janine, I've really enjoyed all these kitty adjustment stories that everyone has shared. I'm glad that Larry came back to you and that at least Wally had the decency to call you. I hope you find a real home this time, soon. He is beautiful even with his funny ear!
    knowing your financial situation with trying to help so many cats, just to make sure that you know, you can certainly by tapeworm treatment yourself, and it really doesn't necessitate a vet visit. Tapeworms just come from fleas.I'm sure it looked gross to your niece, but it's really not a big deal. If you didn't already take him in, maybe your vet would just sell you a drontal??that treat both tapeworms and roundworms. Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole, I do know about drontal, and have given it to many a cat in my days. My niece over exaggerated and said there were bugs coming out of his eyes too (which I doubted immediately) but I also thought about his skin, and that the cat has been exposed to bed bugs (I know, gross), and wanted him to be checked thoroughly. I should really explain myself a little better! :)

      Delete