Monday, January 27, 2014

As Good as it Gets

SUNDAY:
Daisy & Mary Jane
It was a tough morning out today.  Not only for the kitties, but for me, and a few others.  My good friend, whom I've known for 30+ years passed to his next life at 5 am.  I knew I felt something as I was going out the door, not only dread, but I could just feel something was not right.  He joins him mama, who just passed two weeks ago.  She never knew Frank had been fighting prostate cancer for the past 14 years, he just never thought she would live past him, and he wanted to spare her the pain.  I will miss him a great deal, as will many others whose lives were touched by him.  Life is short, be good to each other.

The temperatures have not gotten much past 10 degrees for a few weeks now, and its brutal on these animals.  I do what I can, and its not much.  Its bringing them warm water, and pouring dry food, and a little scoop of wet before it freezes.  I held two kitties in my arms this morning, telling them that it would soon be OK.  I must get these two precious animals in homes.  They deserve to be warm, and loved.  Please spread the word. I will share pictures soon.

Gordie - Gordie is at someone's home today on a trial basis.  The man has allergies, but they are giving Gordie a shot.  They have two other females that don't bother him, and they are going to give it a day or two to see how it goes for Gordie.  Fingers crossed!

I also went to Sheryl's who is fostering Fraser, to see how that little guy is doing.  So shy, so timid, but I yanked him and sat him on my lap, and just as she shared in the comment from Friday, he is a LOVER!  He is missing all his fur on each of his sides, most likely from coming in and out of a small opening shelter that was on Baldwin, where he lived for so long under a bench, but I am sure it will grow back.  He is a purr ball, and soon to be again FUR ball.  He is going to the clinic on Tuesday morning to be tested for leukemia, and given his shots and neuter.  Prayers for Fraser that his leukemia test comes out clean. 



Buster, Scooter, Daisy (MaryJane hiding under blanket in middle)

MONDAY:

I wrote the above on Sunday.  This morning was another matter.  I think I experienced every weather system we could get within the hour and half it took me this morning, minus thunder, lightning and rain.  The winds at times were ferocious, and at least two inches of snow were dumped within an hour.  At least.  You couldn't see 20 feet in front of you.  Needless to say, the shelters I've provided - they may still be warm and cozy, but outside of them, where the food and towels are, are snow covered.  At my Hayward location, lo and behold, there was Fraser's twin brother waiting for food under the board.  He looks exactly like Fraser, but isn't missing as much fur.  He allowed me to pet him, which means I can get him, but I need a place for him to stay for a while.  I did not see Candy there, the sweet calico I was able to hold yesterday.  I held Lenny this morning, who I just now named, from Central, who greets me crying every single morning.  He is the black and white kitty who I think lives under a porch there, not using the shelter I've provided.

Smokey (aka Fang)

Scooter

The winds are supposed to pick up this afternoon, and the temperature will drop to the single digits.  Its going to be another nightmare for me tomorrow, I am not looking forward to it.  Say a prayer for the little ones.  And please spread the word, these kitties need a home, please open yours, and your heart for them. 

Have a nice day.

"Look for something positive today.  Even if you have to look a little harder than usual, it still exists."

3 comments:

  1. All of mine tucked up tight in their houses but run out when they hear their door open, eat their wet food, then jump back into electric beds. Today we cant even get down our drive, frozen and dangerous, plus i have several deer that come to my yard and one of them has a terrible and sad injury, I buy food for her and trudge thru the snow to find a safe place to leave the food, but I feel like you do Janine, it is so little help for the animals in this brutal weather.... we are all doing what we can when it srosses our path and I guess thats all one can do

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, Janine. I hope the people who took Gordie are able to keep him. Wendy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps want to mention animal control who offered at lot of help and compassion when we notified them of injured deer. NY state is one of the best places to live in that have such organisations for animal welfare, i,.m.op.

    ReplyDelete