Saturday, January 4, 2014

She is a He!

Yep, the kitty I swooped up from the streets just before the big storm two days ago is not Sabrina, HE is Sargent, as my niece has named him, for now, until he gets his forever home, if he or she wants to rename him. But I do like Sargent. Its different!  And boy, the  people that read this sure do know cats!  The mouth thing is rodent ulcers?  I need to look up this definition:

A rodent ulcer begins as a yellow or pink shiny spot that deepens and becomes an open sore. Often, it begins on either side of center on the upper lip. Less commonly, it occurs on the lower lip or at the back of the jaw behind one of the last upper molars. Some cats will also develop an ulcer on the tongue. It is not itchy and seems to cause no pain. As the ulcer advances, the lip may be partly eroded by a large, ulcerated swelling that exposes teeth and gums.
This unsightly condition is unique to the cat. It may be found in cats of any age, and occurs three times more often in females than males. The exact cause of rodent ulcer is unknown, and there is actually no direct connection with rodents. The presence of eosinophils suggests an allergic reaction, parasite problem, or immune problem. It is thought to be part of the eosinophilic granuloma complex. Hypersensitivity is strongly suggested, with causative agents including insects, environmental substances, and diet. Flea allergy should always be considered as a possible cause. Some cases are associated with dental infection. An underlying genetic predisposition is suspected.
 
Poor baby, but he was given treatment, flea meds, ear mite stuff, and best of all, he tested negative for diseases!  He is good and ready to go!  It was recommended to give him 1 1000mg capsule of fish oil per day.  Now, how am I going to getone of these big pills down his throat?  Any recommendations?
 
It was another cold night out there for the cats, and I saw more this morning.  There is a red fluffy kitty on Baldwin that has a sick kind of cry - I would love to rescue him next.  But I need fosters!  Please consider!  Here are a few pics from this morning:
 
HAYWARD

HAYWARD

BALDWIN

BALDWIN

BALDWIN

SEVENTH


SEVENTH - this guy ran straight for the water
 

5 comments:

  1. Fish oil capsules are soft - pierce it and squeeze out onto a tiny teaspoon of nice, stinkie (perhaps salmon flavored) catfood - it's fish - cats love fish - it'll be a treat not a trick! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if the treatment that he got for the rodent ulcer was a depo medrol injection, if it helps that will only be temporary, they last about 4 weeks. There is a new treatment for rodent ulcers, that I had incredible success with about maybe just two years ago, that my old vet had seen at the national veterinary convention in Florida that winter. It is 6-8 weeks worth of daily clindamycin antibiotic, which totally 100 percent cured, long term, a horrible horrible rodent ulcer that one of my cats had on her whole upper lip for years, which prednisolone hadn't really helped at all. Within one week of starting the clindamycin, there was major improvement. Her whole lip actually regrew and she was beautiful again for the first time in years! I can get the information from my old vet on this treatment, if you want. I mail ordered a whole bottle of 25 milligram clindamycin which she got 2 pills twice a day, and by getting the whole bottle it was very reasonable. I can find where I got it from if you'd like. I tried to send you this information before you took him in this morning but I didn't have reception. I guess the vet at the clinic hadn't heard about this treatment for rodent ulcer yet since it was presented as experimental but it sure did work! but maybe willing to write you a prescription for it if shown the article from this veterinary convention.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.s. if you want to do this, I will cover the cost of the bottle of clindamycin, as sergeants sponsor. I am afraid that getting him adopted out might be a bit of a problem if this appears to be an ongoing problem needing treatments, and as I said in above message, the clindamycin totally cured the rodent ulcer where depo-medrol shots or oral prednisolone may not really help at all. this treatment produce such incredible in dramatic results in my kitty that I would love to see if it does the same thing for sergeant!
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, Janine, your gender-guessing record hasn't been so good lately! lol! Sargent is a cute name. Is he fixed? I thought his ear looked tipped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Sargent, but isn't Carole an angel to share info & experience, plus offer to pay for bottle of Clindamycin. Oh, my, give it a try! In regards to fish oil...yes, puncture capsule & drizzle on food (do this for my Herbie). There's also a liquid form that one can squirt on food (easier for cat Timmy!) I have a site that you, or new owner, could access, if needed. It's much cheaper than buying from the vet. Prayers and good luck to you & Sargent.

    ReplyDelete