Monday, January 20, 2014

We Did It!

So many things happening this weekend!  I didn't know what to title this post as, could have done so many, but I supposed 'we did it' is sufficient enough.
Second Street

Many thanks to Walt, Karen and Sheryl for going to Central on Saturday and dumpster diving for me.  We got the two beautiful wooden huts Kristin and Darrin had built a few years ago, and a few pieces of wood, and transported them to a location across the way.  I have a feeling the Metalico company will be calling me after receiving many calls from folks who tried to help me out after my plea on Saturday's post.  Thank you Thank you Thank you for making the calls!  At least I will be able to let them know that when their workers come across sturdily built cat shelters, that they should think twice about throwing them away.  I spoke to the neighbor on Saturday who actually spoke to the workers telling them that I go there every morning to feed cats.  They could have cared less.  So, at least I will speak my mind to this company.  Grrrr.

Fraser in Sheryl's House Sunday

Pre-Capture - he has a brother out there somewhere that I have not seen in a while

On another GREAT note, Sunday Sheryl was kind enough to take in the red sick kitty on Baldwin - all I had to do was gain his growing trust that morning, coax him with a little food, and voila, I grabbed him and placed him carefully in a carrier that was waiting for him.  I am SO grateful to her for taking him and giving him warmth and love for now.  I will get him to a vet soon, so we can figure out what is going on with him.  When I picked him up, he couldn't have weighed any more than six pounds.  Matted too.  She is working on him.  He is still scared to death.  He hasn't been in a home in a very long time, if ever.  Poor baby.  She has named him Fraser.

I also want to thank Kristin for coming over on Sunday, even though she wasn't feeling up to par, and helping me re-secure some of my shelters.  We also made a pit stop at Brenda and Sherelle's place on the corner of Fifth and Central.  Sherelle had requested cat litter when Kristin went by last week to just see the shelter she built there, after checking on the Stout Street shelter, and they were in the doorway requesting this.  They also told her they had kittens inside.  So we went inside this sad house full of kids, and asked to see the kittens.  After some hesitation, they brought out a very lethargic black and white kitten, that I held, and I am not sure what the other was, but we had to implore this woman to get the mother cat spayed.  All Sherelle would say is I do not want my cats fixed.  Between a lot of conversation I asked if she was selling the kittens, and at first she said yes, then no, and I pointed out not only the over population of cats around the area, and that I was feeding so many, and so many kittens were dying after being birthed outside, but I pointed out that the people that may be buying kittens from her may be using them for dog fights, which she claimed she didn't know anything about.  It just made me sick, the ignorance.  I need to find something written and simple to leave with her to explain WHY you get a cat neutered/spayed.  Anyone?


On Friday, I went to meet the guy on Parsells, Bob, again, but he still wasn't there working on the house of the porch that he has allowed me to feed cats on. I just want to meet him and look at his property. He seems like a nice man, I will have to try to leave him a note or call him. 

But when I went to turn around and return to work, I saw a cat, near the house that Lisa - if you recall from last summer, we tried to get her committed due to her torturing and killing cats (you can do a search on my blog for LISA and you can read about it), and got out to place food down (of course, don't I always?), and the guy that lives in the front of the house came out to tell me that she is 'doing it again and she is getting worse.'  He went on for ten minutes about some of the things she was doing with the kittens, and with pregnant cats, and I finally got back in the car and called my police friend, who reported back a day or two later that she had people working on it and would let me know.  She needs to be committed.  Sick and twisted Lisa.

TEDDY!

On another GREAT note, I went to visit Sargent who is being fostered by Gail, who has not renamed him Teddy - and here is what he looks like.  His lip is nearly healed (rodent ulcer), and his luxurious coat is phenomenal.  He needs his forever home, and very soon!  Gail is anxious to get him adopted, as I am also!  Please consider him, and spread the word!

Off to work, have a great day!

"You are successful the moment you start moving toward a worthwhile goal."

3 comments:

  1. Janine,
    Karon and I enjoyed seeing you again on Saturday more than the dumpster diving LOL. As long as we all accomplished your mission thats all that counts . It was nice meeting your friend Sheryl also she seems like a very kind and caring person.
    Walt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janine you get the angel award today (again). Thank you for all that you do.
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fraser! Thank you so much Sheryl for opening your home to him! He looks so much like my little Pumpkin.
    Glad to hear that the wooden shelters were rescued!

    ReplyDelete