Monday, January 6, 2014

Rescue

Sargent - looking much better!
What you lookin' at?

GET THAT CAMERA OUT OF MY FACE!
Look at this beautiful boy, isn't he gorgeous?  His lip has healed quite dramatically since treatment at the vet's office on Friday.  I am going to brush him tonight, and see what his coat looks like underneath that matting.  I am so grateful for his easy rescue.  The way he shows affection towards me, I can see how grateful he is also.  You can click on these pictures to see a close up of him.

And thank you to everyone for your comments.  I will certainly take your advice, and Carole, I will contact you personally.  I am getting ready to give Sargent his dinner, and I will try the fish oil on his food.  I am sure he will gobble it.  He loves his wet food.

On another note, someone recently came upon my blog, and asked how I got into this.  I've always loved animals since I was young enough to remember.  I learned that from my mother, who also loves animals.  She has so many funny stories about critters getting into her house like squirrels, opossums, and birds, and so many sad ones too, about cats she has lost.  Her house actually seems like bad luck!  She once was backing out of her driveway and hit my sister's Papillon (sp?) - a tiny little dog named Tia - she didn't run over it, but shocked it enough that it died right there.  Another time her cat got outside, and was spooked by a loose dog that went chasing it.  The cat ran up a tree and there was a V in the tree that somehow the cat got stuck in and it hung itself.  Recently, the poor stray that she took in last summer, which gave birth to three kittens, two that died, Katie that lived, was let out and within five minutes, was eaten by a coyote.  Such heartache.

But my love for animals has obviously grown over the years, to the point of having my own menagerie, and trying to rescue as many as I can off the street, and getting those adopted.  I was thinking about it and can't believe myself that I actually have FIFTEEN spots each morning that I shelter and feed at.  HOW did I get to that???  I guess I would see a cat here and there, and realize that they were taking shelter somehow near or around there, and I would find an abandoned house or building and set up shop there.   Some people feel I should leave the cats where they are, that they are happy being outdoors.  I don't believe that.  I believe all cats should be able to experience love, shelter and regular feeding.  I can give just a tiny bit of that to the cats that I come upon - I am there for only a minute, sometimes not even, when I arrive to place their food and water and dry towel down.  And who wants to live in a box?  Cats are not rodents, they want love, and are capable of giving love in return.

So, I will continue to help rescue these cats from the streets and get them good homes.  They deserve it!

The garage on Stout is still not opened, and the temperatures will plummet to below zero tonight.  I need manpower and a good wrench to pry open just a tiny bit of this very tightly nailed board that is closing up this garage that has sufficient shelter with straw in it to keep these cats warm this winter.  I am hoping someone will contact me today to get it done.  I will meet them there after work, or this evening if they want me to be there. 

Thanks for reading, and have a great day!

 "What is not started today is never finished tomorrow."

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a dramatic difference in Sargent's lip! Sounds like you should definitely look into that stuff that may be a more long term fix for his condition. He's a lovely cat! Wendy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the vet give him a depomedrol shot (long-acting steroid) or was it convenia (long-acting antibiotic)? In either case, he's ha an incredible improvement from it. Probably will have to wait and see if it even comes back after whatever he got wears off, before a vet would prescribe the long term clindamycin treatment. From what I read the other day, sometimes it does resolve and not come back after a depo injection or shorter antibiotic like if he got convenia shot! Maybe he'll be a lucky one. My cat's case apparently was very extreme. Glad he's shown such an improvement in only a few days*! Incredible!! He is beautiful.
    Since all these cats seem to be first generaltion abandoed pets, I agree with you getting them off the streets and into homes if at all possible. It is not like they are true ferals who grew up as outdoor cats and have lived outside their whole lives. I wish you could get more help! But every one you save from the streets IS one life saved and massively improved and grateful to you and YOU know that!!
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also I read that it CAN be caused by an allergic reaction like a flea allergy, so, fingers crossed, if he is kept flea free, maybe it won't ever come back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sargent is so cute and what an amazing fur coat he has! Glad to see that his lip is already healing up. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete