Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Metalico


Its a very cold morning out there.  The high today will be around 6 degrees, which is where its at now.  They are calling for wind chills today/tonight that will make it around 10 to 15 degrees BELOW zero.  At most of my locations, the kitties heard me pull up, and they ran to me.  Then they ran away from me because so many of them are skittish.  Except the ones on Stout and Central.  They run right up to me and wait for me to put the food down, while I pet them.  The others watch from a short distance, or a far distance, waiting for me to leave.  Some I see coming out of the shelters I've placed around town, some I have to wonder how they are still alive, because it doesn't look like they are using the shelters I've provided for them, one being Lucille on Chamberlain (formerly from Garson).  I shine my flashlight inside them to see if the straw looks like it has been nested in, but it doesn't on some. 

I pulled up to my location on Central and Third, across from where the big dumpster was and where I used to feed until they trashed my stuff this past weekend, and I saw two cats over there running around.  I made the usual cat calls, but they didn't seem to know where to go.  I saw them running around there frantically it seemed.  I went on to the next spot down the street with a heavy heart, and praying they would know enough to come across the medianed road.  After I finished up the Central spot, I drove back and pulled in the driveway, got out with a soft fleece blanket and some bowls, and placed it down for the crying calico.  As I pulled away I saw another white with black spots go to feed.  These poor angels don't know enough yet to go across to where there is food and shelter.  I pray they find their way.

In the meantime, due to it being Martin Luther King day, I thought this company that carelessly trashed my shelters wasn't open, therefore not getting the messages left for them to call me.  I had left my cell phone at home by mistake, but when I got home, there were no messages, and there was no dumpster in the driveway this morning.  I am furious, and will be calling today - at some point from work, to give them a piece of my mind.  To not even call me?  How rude that is.  I believe they are a publicly held stock company too.  What if I were a shareholder?  What then?

The cat I rescued yesterday is still in hiding.  Sheryl was kind enough to take him, but I wish I had done things differently, although I couldn't due to the two others I have being fostered and hoping for  a home, and Gordie in my house still, waiting to be adopted.  I would have taken this red and sick kitty and placed him in my bathroom, just like I've done with every one of them, and gained its trust a lot quicker, because they are not able to hide.  He must be seen by a vet and soon.  I am not sure how long it will take for him to start to trust Sheryl in the spare room she has that has a few hiding spots that he has wedged himself in.


There is not much more to say.  I will continue to believe that spring is just around the corner to give these cats some relief.   Think spring!~

3 comments:

  1. Very cold and difficult for you and the kittys today Janine, the sick red kitty is indoors, so that alone will be a big help to the poor creature , God Bless xxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wondering if someone may have dumped those two cats who were frantically running around-dumped them there knowing that you feed there. Sounds like they were brand new to the streets but also didnt know where they were or where to go or hide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would bet these are 2 of the cats janines been feeding there until those assholes hired by the bank threw all her shelters in the dumpster. They heard her car pull up and were confused as to why she wasnt feeding there anymore. They lost their shelter and are confused. Hopefully they will realize where the new feeding station is soon. Please give what you can so Janine can buy some more shelters so these kitties do not freeze to death this Winter.

    ReplyDelete