Thursday, January 2, 2014

Miss Fluffypants

Well, I did it again.  I rescued another sweet animal off the street this morning.  Meet Miss Samantha.



Scared to death, as they all are, and afterI held her tightly in the bathroom when I got her home, I heard a soft purring.  She is extremely fluffy, very dirty, but very beautiful.  She also has something going on with her upper lips.  I am not quite sure, its hard to get a look right now, but she needs to be seen by a vet. Unfortunately, I don't believe the low cost vet clinic can do much more than wellness visits, and spay/neuter for me.  I will have to take her to my own vet, which will cost a fortune.  But it needs to be done.  She HATES the carrier, so that will be a fight.  I almost had her in it when I rescued her from Parsells, but she still came back for more, the second time being a charm.

Its brutal out there today, there isn't much I can say, except that it is 10 degrees, there is at least four or five inches of snow so far, and the winds will be picking up.  I brought more straw for under the porch on Stout, only seeing Mr. Black Kitty today.  I brought a board to cover up the holes that the snow will surely be flying through with the storm expected to last today and tonight.  Most of the food dishes were covered in snow due because of the winds.  Everyone at my other spots were there waiting, freezing.

My friend Kristin may meet me after work to help me pry the garage door open  at the bottom on Stout to allow these cats to take cover.

I posted the past couple of days, please read if you haven't already!

Say a prayer for Miss Fluffypants, and have a good day, stay safe!


4 comments:

  1. God Bless you for rescuing "Miss Fluffy Pants" and so many others, Janine. Let us know how you make out with her lips -poor kitty. Also, did the gentleman take Gordie on Tuesday? Please be careful in this wretchedly bitter cold & snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you call the RCAC Clinic and ask if that sounds like something they can take care of before taking her to your vet? They say "non-critical urgent care" which this sounds like it falls into that category. Might be a rodent ulcer which treatment for is plain old prednisolone which they can certainly dispense.
    Bless you for taking in another and I am so glad you've had so much quick success with finding homes for these cats lately. Seems like word of mouth is working like a charm lately! Brutal weather, I wish I could bring home all my colony cats but they never seem to leave once I bring them home and just no more room at the inn.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous girl! I love the bottom photo of her; what a sweetie. All the kitties are in my prayers, especially on a frigid night like tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janine,

    She's beautiful! I' so glad you grabbed her and she sounds very appreciative.

    Looks like she may have a "rodent ulcer", which vets have a very hard time treating successfully, if at all.
    I've had many cats with this condition and the one thing, more than all others, that works wonders to clear it up, is a home made raw food diet. Absolutely no dry or canned store bought food. I add the supplement Lysine and I've never had a cat NOT get better. Also, stress plays a part, so after she's settled into her forever home, that will help. Her unscented forever home. Chemicals like scented litter, air fresheners, cologne, household cleaners, all add to the cat's immune workload and can aggravate this condition.
    Of course, IF that's what she's got.
    Looks like Miss Fluffy Pant's lip will never totally grow back but it will heal over.
    These ulcers can continue to grow and take over a good portion of a cat's upper lip.
    They say they aren't painful but how do we know?

    If I didn't have 10 of my own cats, plus my mom's, I'd take her in a heartbeat. She looks like my Chuckles, who died last year at 17. He was a street rescue, too. And a wonderful guy.....

    Please keep us informed? And have you ever told your story of how you got started doing your 'work' with these kitties?

    ReplyDelete